1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stolen Equipment?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by bryanjhurt, Jan 25, 2010.

1. bryanjhurt

bryanjhurt Junior Member

I know this is a long shot, but could be a good tool. Are there any stolen threads on here? I am just outside of Kansas City and had someone break into our trucks last night stealing Western Snow Plow Controllers. On camera we saw a small extended cab Chevy Silverado or S 10with a home made wood flat bed on it. They tried to get plows but were to big of pussys to pick them up... If anyone knows anything please call me @ 816.682.2741

2. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

I would also keep my eyes on E-Bay and Craigs List. Good luck.

3. bryanjhurt

bryanjhurt Junior Member

Thanks! I am, but am not sure what I would do If I did find them! LOL The unfortunate thing is that the Sheriff didnt seem to give a damn and I kow not much would be done! It is just a huge pain in the ass!

4. 05Duramax073

05Duramax073 Member

People are assholes, wont leave other peoples stuff alone. Its hard enough to make a decent living in current conditions, without people stealing.

5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Tough times always bring out the best in people.............

6. teamgreendude

teamgreendude Senior Member

WOW,
    I'm in the overland park area I'll definitly keep an eye out. That stinks bro.

7. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

The crappy part is that without serial numbers or something to identify the items as stolen property if an officer runs across them, it's hard to get a conviction. If the sheriff's dept. has an investigations division, somebody might be getting in touch with you to get a copy of whatever's on the camera.
    Maybe the items will turn up sometime in the course of something else (unrelated search warrant, etc.), and a sharp officer will ask the guy why he has plow controllers but no plow.
    I've been in security/law enforcement long enough to know that a lot of crimes go unsolved, but I've also seen some little thing make a case come together so that the dirtbag gets caught.

Yep. Makes me think that the old punishment of cutting off a thief's hand(s) would be pretty effective. It might not deter him from doing it the first time, but I'll bet it would keep him from doing it again.

Mark your plows and other gear, in both obvious and hidden places, in case they decide to come back and get what they missed the first time. When you get replacements for the stolen controllers, if they don't have serial numbers on them, make up your own and engrave the number onto them. Maybe use part of the VIN for the truck that the controller is used on.
    What I remember as the standard for entering a stolen article into NCIC (National Crime Information Center) was, even if it had a relatively low dollar value, if there was a good chance of it being transported across state lines, then it could be entered. If you're near the KS/MO border, that should apply, I think. You need a serial number or a distinctive "owner-applied number" for the law enforcement agency to make the entry. Then if it turns up somewhere and an officer runs that number, it should produce a "hit."

8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

I had a major theft of tools 2 years ago and learned a few things from it.DO NOT give up with your Sherriff's Dep't.Ask around--find the top detective in the dep't and let him have at it.I'm convinced that if I didn't do this,I would have never seen my tools again.My guy was like a pit bull---he flat out asked me--''Do you want these guys to get convicted or do you want your tools back because sometimes you just can't have both?'' I opted for door #2 and got all $2500 of tools back.[The thieves did'nt go away for my crime because officially, it never happened, but did go to jail a few months later for another].What was really sweet here is although the video of them crashing through my gate was extremely fuzzy,one of the 2 brothers weighs app. 400 lbs.,so from his girth sitting in the truck,that detective knew immediatelly who robbed me, as he put these 2 brothers away before for tool theft.He gave me some great advise also---mark ALL your tools in a few spots with some unique color{I use nail polish--hard to remove easily].That way,when/if law enforcement looks through say a garage door window at a suspect's house and sees your color on those tools,he now has ''probable cause'' for the judge to get him a search warrant.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

had this happen to me. 3k bucks worth.

reward ad shrunk.jpg

10. 80sturgisrider

80sturgisrider Member

Nobody likes a thief, but that is why I protect myself with insurance. Still be a pain in the a$$ to have my stuff stolen. Like you said--law enforcement dont seem to care and all the red tape you have to go through. As long as I have apolice report, I will be able to replace my stuff. Hope the ***** dickweeds that got your stuff get caught--and get hammered!.

11. Snowplow71

Snowplow71 Senior Member

Weld your name or any number under the plow, behind the cutting edge or on the piece of angle down there.... I've got 2 loader buckets (xt quick detach) that are welded...

12. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

That is funny you say that because we had a guy try to steel my mower and my dads forklift, right out of our shop. Long story short my dad saw him parked by our shop stopped to see what he was doing and he took off in his truck with the trailer ramps still down. The police officer that came knew who the guy was by the description of his truck and trailer. It makes me mad that the same guys are steeling over and over again. Why is nothing done? This guy eventually killed himself. I think he did the world a favor. I hate thieves.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010