1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stolen E60 Meyer Pump Today!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Lawnscape89, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

I discovered today that "Santa's little elves" were working overtime and took my E60 Pump off the front of one of my trucks sometime over theChristmas weekend. It had been parked in a highly visible lot for a few weeks (my first mistake), along with some of my other snow removal equipment. They didn't get the frame tube because I had a locked pin through it. They just got my pump and lift arm (a $1200 value) because I didn't have the pump locked to the mount frame (my second mistake). Luckily, the plow wasn't there, too, for them to take.

Hind site being 20/20, I wish I would have spent the $10 for the lock. :mad:

So, I called the police to report the theft and they said they had received 2 other reports of stolen pumps over the weekend!!! :eek: The other two were the complete assembly - frame tube, lights and pump). I really hope they catch them, but I seriously doubt it. I just wanted to vent a little and HIGHLY recommend you purchase locks for your plows. I know they can just cut them, but any deterrent, however small, is helpful.
  2. 84deisel

84deisel Senior Member

an even simpiler way is to buzz the end of the bolts with a arc welder.If you need to remove the bolt just grind away the spot of weld. Works pretty good and is easy to remove when needed (by the right people)
  3. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

yeah i go with the tack welding, if the guys are gonna get it, theyre gonna cut a lock no matter what, they do make some pretty big bolt cutters and will cut a locking pin, the trick is getting one short enough so the thieves cant get the bolt cutters in and cut....

but the tack welding is a better idea, while the guys can get a nut off, unless theyre doing lots of banging, they arent gonna be able to break a good weld on the bolt side...

when i do have to leave my truck i put it under a light pole and chain the pump (with lock pin) and lift tube to the pole

but again, if they want it bad enough, theyre gonna find a way somehow....
  4. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Screw the lock, screw the welding, run some thick power cable from the high power lines in the street to the plow.

You will be doing us all a favor. :)
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

LOL hahahahahhahahahahha that was good!! LOL
  6. mrbrickman

mrbrickman Senior Member
    from montana

im trying to remember but i remember reading about someone (well a group of someones) who tried to steal a mans disconnected western unimount rig, but only made it about 20 feet, i think he somehow took an electric fence energizer and attached it to the plow?

if i find the story or it comes back to me ill post back...
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep,post that one if you find it.I'd love to read it! purplebou A couple of years back there was a theif going around here stealing pump's,mostly E47's and E60's but he got a couple of Western pump's too. The guy was actually pretty smart (or evil depending on how you want to take it) He wouldn't mess around trying to cut through a hardened steel lock with a hacksaw,he would just saw right through the soft aluminum mounting lug on the bottom of the sump base (it's hollow on the inside)!! On the Westerns he just unbolted the bottom mounting lug! Eventually he was caught due to the smell of the plow fluid on his clothes and hand's!
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  8. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

That's really funny. I didn't think about it until I read your post, but it's actually parked under some hi-power lines:dizzy:

Wait just a minute.......you weren't near my truck over the weekend, were you?:jester:
  9. RedDodge

RedDodge Junior Member
    from md

What part of Maryland?
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

They would have to use a flame wrench to get mine off. It's been on there for 5 years and rust has welded the bolts to the nuts. I watched the guy I subcontract for take a fried e-60 off with a adjustable jaw wrench and a pair of pump pliers. It's a wonder no stole it with it sitting in a yard all the time.
  11. dieselboy

dieselboy Member

i dont think it would be worth it to steal mine some one would get it and just start asking themselve why did they waste there time with this. lol
  12. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

13. Andy N.

Andy N. Senior Member

That thief can have mine....I don't need it anymore!!!!
  14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I have one of those. Their a very handy tool! Although I've never used it to steal something!