1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stolen Boss

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ceaman, Jan 29, 2002.

1. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I woke up this morning to find that sometime between 9:00 pm and 8:00 am someone stole my 8'2" Boss V. It was sitting in my driveway with my wifes neon parked up to the hook up point. It has my company name and phone# in 12" bright teal green letters. I am on my way to the ins. co. now.
  2. WildSide

WildSide Junior Member

Time to go undercover, ask around if anybody knows where you can find used Boss 8' 2'' V Plow. Never know, things may go in a circle.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

wow that sucks. sorry to hear you got your plow stolen. maybe you should drive around today in the industrial areas where somebody may put it in a pen or something. cant be too many boss v's out there with green writing on them. hope everything works out ok.
  4. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

only two other boss V's in the county that i have seen and they are both really old.... one boss straight...
  5. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Did they move the Neon or did they drag it out from in front of it and pick it up. That Boss is super heavy so it had to be a cooperated effort. Keep on the local law, its not a VCR, so they should find something. In the meantime, have fun plow shopping.
  6. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

didnt move neon or drag it thru the gravel. There is a single wheel track going up to the front of the blade. (if it was dual rear wheels i would have thought it was a tow truck). the tires look like a goodyear wrangler type tire. and appears they were close enough to load it in the bed of the truck (no tailgate) or pull up to it and pick it up with a meyer type pump & chain no footprints in mud (although the fence to the Backyard and garage was open).
    no marks in the dirt on the front of the neon either.
  7. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

Sorry to hear that Ceaman. Good luck with the hunt.

Nothing worse than a sorry a#$#% who is too lazy to work for his own property and would rather steal another man's hard earned equipment.

8. Rocky

Rocky Member

I've found usually when things turn up missing that it's been done by somebody you know all to well to begin with, like an employee that knows your routine. They might've been planning this for weeks and found out through the grapevine that you would be out for awhile the night it turned up missing. Guaranteed it'll be repainted in no time if they plan on using it. Otherwise it'll be used for parts and it just may turn up somewhere out in the woods stripped. This is a good reason to weld your name into a plow or trailer or anything else you want to identify later. Rocky
  9. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I have no employees and was home all evening....
  10. Rocky

Rocky Member

You mean somebody backed right up to your house and whisked this thing away without you knowing about it? It isn't likely somebody pulled this caper off without knowing something about your routine. Maybe like how soundly you sleep? I hope the insurance takes care of you. We're supposed to get snow the next couple days. I know, you've heard that before!!
  11. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

That sucks to hear about it. Have you contact your local police and sheriff? They always have some cars on patrol. If they notice a truck with V plow that may be your they will check it out. It should not be hard to find a V plow in your area. I would not be suprised if they painted it yellow. So you should also watch out for yellow V plows.
  12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Was it locked up in a garage? No signs of forced entry, and it'll be tough to get insurance $ for it. I keep all plows locked in the garage. On my Boss (Rapid Tach II) I can lock it with a padlock so no one can pull up and hook to it. They had to have a tow truck. There doesn't seem to be any way to hoist a Boss up with a Meyer lift (If it could do it? = 800+ lbs) type setup. They sure as hell didn't lift it out by hand!!!

Hope you make out O.K.~!
  13. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Was it financed or did you pay in full?
    Guys that repo for a living could come and snatch it while you are having dinner, and you wouldn't hear a thing.
  14. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

There are few things that cause me to have the kind of rage I get when someone steals something of mine. Only thing worse is doing something to an automobile, like vandalizing it. This was sorta a combo of the two.... You're coming across pretty calm, I'm impressed. They would have already revoked my membership for the vocabulary I'd be using. Keep after it. When I was about 6, we had our driveway paved, and parked our boat trailer across the street. Nice EZ loader for an 18 foot boat. It was gone when we got back, but Dad and some friends drove ALL over town and I mean, like a good weekend effort of looking in driveways and empty lots, ect. Found it way out of town at some lady's house, and called the troopers. She claimed it was hers of course, which was good until pops produced the title, then she said she thought it was abandoned, uh huh. Good luck and keep after it. Don't be afraid to be an ******* when you go around looking for it.

15. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Its mine.... no finance....
    it will be in the garage from now on....
    I put a padlock on the rapid tach for the first year with no signs of trouble. It has set at my fathers car lot on a state road. (advertising for snow removal in the fall) but at my home in a normally low crime area) it came up missing.

The insurance started saying this morning that it would be the end of next week or the early the next before they would have the claim settled. then the adjuster called this afternoon and said they needed to send the adjuster out to photograph my truck. I told him that he would be taking a picture of a snowplow that wasnt here.... and a truck that was..... then he said ill send the adjuster out tomorrow (im 100 miles away from the adjustor, btw)
    He called right back and said that he was just waisting time if he sent out for a picture. He is going to cut me a check in the morning....
  16. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Ik sorry to hear about your plow,I always worry a little about the same thing,I have 4 minute mount style plows,it would be easy to pull into them and drive away.All mine are paid for,but the thought has gone thru my mind.If your getting another boss,I would buy the 9'2",my truck handles it great,I have the same truck with a deisel,and the extra 6"of blade on each side makes tight work much easier,I can clear curbs easy with my rear tires,and the mirrors dont get close to trailers,and buildings like they did with the 8 fter.It is 8 ft in the v position,so its stil easy to drive down the road.I hope you find the thugs that stole your plow,i think itwas someone with the same setup,on their truck you know how fast you could hook up ,and go,under 1 minute.
  17. matthew Urban

matthew Urban Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your plow,

I am glad to hear that the Ins. Co. will be taking care of it.
    Can you get a new plow fast enough? If not then what would you do?

Good Luck

john, I hear you with the MM
  18. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

I may go with the 9 footer thanks John.
    I am unsure about how quick I can get a plow.
    My father has a truck he plowed with for 15 years but he just got it back from the body shop where he put all new metal and paint on it and he said " I am not driving it in the salt anymore."
    I have a sub I could hire in a emergency.
  19. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

You need a serious lift to haul away a plow and I imagine it would have been loud.
    Could thay have just had a few friends lift and move the neon, attach the plow and move the neon back?
    Heck it only took a few people to turn a Cherokee sideways as a joke on someone. So It's possible.

I doubt any padlock and chain would have stopped these guys, Thay prolly have the simple tools for cutting/breaking it.

Drive by all the local towing companies and take a look arround.

Look in the paper for used plows and go check em out as if you were intrested.

Go to the local plow dealers and ask if thay had sold any mounts for that plow recently. Tell them to keep an eye out for you.

The people who stole it are either going to sell it, or need a mount for it.

Next time it snows if you have time drive by the larger lots and look for someone useing your plow. Figure thay would be there if thay had the equipent to lift it.

Ask your neighbors if thay may have saw anything. Thay may have but figure you were home and nothing odd was going on.

Anyone have something against you? Bad customer? Take a job from another company? Have any former employees?
  20. keitha

keitha Senior Member

That just takes the cake

You may also want to check not so local dealers for sale of a mount.

Do these have a factory serial number to clearly prove ownership.

good luck getting a plow ... hopefully before you need it