1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stockpile calculator

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Longae29, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone else use the stockpile calculator on North Americans website? I'm trying to figure out how much we can store in a 50x50 area with 10' walls on 3 sides, does it figure for 3 or 4 walls? I'm coming up with 1286 tons but that seems a bit high...

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Never used that before. Seems a bit high to me too. The real amount most likely will be determined on your ability to stack it to it's very maximum. That calculation must be considering the very maximum you would be able to stack into it. The back and 3 sides would need to be at the full 10' height, while continuing to stack on top of this. It has to be considering the additional peak ratio of vertical to horizontal in order to make 1,286 tons fit into that foot print.

Assuming you are using bin blocks, do you have some kind of extra support system on the outside of those walls? It's true gravity doesn't slack off on the job...but don't just count on gravity to hold the bin blocks in place. There will be a lot of dynamic pressure against those walls.

You should be able to fit 900 tons in it while not exceeding the drip edge of the opening.

3. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Just doing 50x50x10 gets you 925 cy

Figure a 45 degree slope at the entrance or 50' across is 50x45x10 or 833cy.

You should be able to stack that 20' tall in the middle and with some fuzzy math, say you'll gain 20-25% above the walls with stacking gets you right around 1000cy which is about 1100-1200 ton.

Considering they sell salt for a living, I'd tend to believe their numbers..

4. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Were putting it into the bin we have with spancrete walls there are large i-beams as braces, the walls are a bit more solid and trustworthy than the mafia block walled bin we have.... I thought 900/seemed more like what we would actually get in there with one whole side being the "spill" side. Want to take the max it can hold since the price is so nice and I'm sure won't last...

5. newhere

newhere PlowSite.com Addict
    from Fenton

Do share your price please.....