1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stock tire size too skinny?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WBSII, Dec 22, 2003.

1. WBSII

WBSII Junior Member

Getting new K3500 this week. Plan on taking inside duallys off for winter and putting on cooper discoverer m&s studded on remaining 4 wheels. Stock size for tires is LT215R/85/16(E rated). Truck weighs quite a bit: duramax, rack dump, and 8.5 western pro plus. Seeing that there will only be 4 tires to stop truck...is that size too skinny? Thanks
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2003
  2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Skinnier tires will have better traction than large tires in snow and ice. You want large tires for offroading and sand. Skinnier tires focus all the weight on a smaller contact area to the ground providing more psi to the ground. They also cut through snow better and are more forgiving when turning and driving over unplowed snow.
  3. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I run that brand and size on my Mitisi. Very good traction. Why not run the daules? You will have more "sway" in the back with singles if you carry weight for ballest.

4. WBSII

WBSII Junior Member

Gene Gls-I was thinking that with just 2 tires in back I can minimize the amount of sand in the bed for ballast. I don't have a loader so it's impractical to unload & load ballast inbetween snows. And I dont want to cart around too much sand when not plowing.
  5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Is it a K3500 PICKUP or Chassis Cab?

If your going to remove a dual, I would remove the outside dual on a pickup (they're way too wide anyway) but on a chassis cab, you may be getting too narrow of a track width and could tip over with a lot of weight on a side hill. That is if your using the original "bud" type dished rear wheel. You could use a "standard" 8 lug wheel and it would not dish in nearly as much.

Why not wait and see how it performs stock? Go out and buy a dozen or so 80 lb bags of rock salt? Easy to remove, and good traction aide if needed.
  6. SCL

SCL Senior Member

TLS hit it on the head. I've plowed with duals on a 2 wd for years, don't kid yourself, it works. Just use bags like TLS said and you'll be fine.
  7. WBSII

WBSII Junior Member

Is it a K3500 PICKUP or Chassis Cab?

It's a chassis cab. Before I spend $$$$ on 4 or 6 new tires I think I'll try TLS's idea of salt bags.......Thanks
  8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

those cooper tires are great i recommend the stt one's
  9. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Yeah, chances are the tires you have will be fine.
    Skinny tires will not be a hinderance, and probably will be better in most situations. Mud Tires might not be better either because they don't have great traction on ice. Remember, for the most part you're not driving THROUGH snow, you are pushing it.

10. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

I agree with the others, I have plowed with a dullie for many years and never had any issues.

IF you find it necessary, and I doubt you will, just put extra sand bag weight behind the rear wheels and you'll be fine.

In all the years plowing with my Ford F350 SC Diesel dullie, I never once needed any extra weight in the back.

I also had a 9' Western Pro Plow

11. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Don't change the tires. My gmc still had that same size tire back when we got a 3 foot blizzard back in 96 it has 8 1/2 wester plow and 12 foot Grain body that only got stuck once on a big ridge of snow I was crossing. When they wore out. I got 235 85 16 don't take off the duallies. Also get a 8 1/2 so you cover you tracks when you have you plow angled. Make sure you get timmermans for the front end.
    My new Duramax dump come in soon too. It has the same tires. I had a 2WD mason dump with bald tire plow that same storm. Put 2 tons of clean stone in back of truck and you will not get stuck. Don't use sand it will freeze in the truck and wont come out till spring.
  12. WBSII

WBSII Junior Member

Turfmower- did you have plow prep when you added timbrens?
  13. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Re: timbrens

Yes the gm torson bar suck as you cant get heavyer bars and the Timbrenns help a lot