1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stock suspension for a 98 k1500

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mark13, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the stock tbar codes were and how many leaves were in each leaf pack. The code for my right tbar is GH 15528960 and I have 6 leafs in each pack. I'm thinking my suspension has been messed with and stiffened up based on my ride quality (very bad) but other think it is stock. My tbars are not cranked and I am able to clear 285s with no rubbing or trimming and even with 4k+ in the bed the bump stops were not touching the axle yet. If anyone else has a stock obs k1500 that I could compare against it would be appreciated.

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i know the rear would be 3 leaf + the overload. in basic stock form. possible 4 leaf + overload for a hd option spring. but not 6. as to the bars sorry cant help you. someone else might be able.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Here is a few pics of my leaf packs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jcesar

jcesar Senior Member
    from Mi

I dont think those are stock.
    I had 3 different chevy 1/2 tons, and 2 were 4 spring with overloads, the other ha 3 and an overload.

I think it is beefed up

JMO
    As far as the t bars, not sure on those, but somebody here will know.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Mark, if your truck has either the Z85 or the Z82 option package they could be the original rear springs as there was a 5 leaf spring pack that could have came with either the Z85 or the Z82 options.Check your white glove box tag for either of these 2 option codes and see what you find. Also, by your pics you can see that the bottom overload leaf is riding against the rest of the spring pack the majority of the time. This will drastically increase the ride harshness due to the fact that the spring pack can only compress a little bit before it hit's the overload leaf. This is usually caused by a worn/sagging spring pack. Also, it looks like your shocks have been on there for a long time and they may even be the original shocks.That can also definitely affect the ride quality so I think you may have more than one thing contributing to your rough ride.

Judging by your torsion bar code of "GH" I'd say that your truck does have either the Z82 or Z85 option as a GH bar has a torque rating of 7161 which is pretty high for a 1/2 ton truck. Most 1/2 ton trucks use a bar in the 5500 to 6800 range. Now it's also possible that someone swapped all the heavier components onto your truck but I'd still be curious to see what option codes your truck does in fact have so keep us posted.

6. sweetk30

i agree those look like o.e. shocks on there. go get a set of good shocks and swap out those 4 old stockers.

then you basicly have a 5 leaf + overload spring setup. this is a comon unit on hd3/4 ton and 1 tons. and like said thay look worn and saging bad. riding on the overload will ride like crap.

dont wast your time with remorking or rearching them. its a solid wast of money. it wont last. just price out new springs for your truck with new yey bolts and ubolts. if you want a softer ride drop to a 4 leaf pack. but price it both ways. its mostly cheeper to buy the 5 pack than the 3 or 4 leaf packs.

if so you can take out a leaf cheeper than the other pacs prices. and if you go this route remove the #3 or #4 leaf as thay are in the higher load sections. and 1-2-3 are in the general riding area.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I will look into pricing new shocks and leaves. Any suggestions to what brand? Alcan? Deavers? I would like to keep the heavier load capacity when I start replacing things.
    I just checked, I do Not have the z85 or z82 package.
    My gvwr is 6200. As my truck sits right now, it weighs 5650.
    I ran all my RPO codes last winter and I do not recal finding any that meant increased load capacity or anything that would cause my truck to have beefed up suspension. One of the previous owners (2) must have done it themselves.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Hmmm, no Z82 or Z85? No Z71 either Mark?

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Nope, just your basic 98 Cheyenne 4x4. With a gvwr that legally allows me 550lbs of payload. lol

Last edited: Sep 22, 2007
  10. sweetk30

for your needs just a local spring shop for replacement packs will do. the others are for real off road use basicly. triangle is like the #1 or #2 replacement brand out there. grab a phonebook and look for auto spring shop or big truck spring shop. thay will have what you need.