1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stock helper spring pads

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by JCI Trans, Nov 17, 2009.

1. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Does anyone know where to get the little rubber discs that attach to the flat spring at the bottom of the pack? I lost one the other day and now they make a slapping noise when i go over a large enough bump. I have searched chevy parts sites and a bunch of suspension sites with no luck. Is there an upgraded part available, maybe one that bolts on instead of pushes in? Thanks for any help!! (btw its for the truck in the sig):waving:

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Any spring shop will have the insulators for cheap. I buy them by the 10 pack for $5.

3. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

Do they do anything besides stop the springs from slapping? they have fallen off all of my trucks.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No that's why they're called "insulators", their job is to quiet the leaves from clanking. Doesn't affect anything....except yourself if you don't care for the noise. :D

5. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

Spring shop it is then, i'll call around tomorrow. Thanks for the fast response!

6. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I checked out a spring shop called told me about a $1 a piece ... Went their wanted $1.25 a piece...
    Might find another way !!!
    Or make my own ...

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

$5 for 4 spring insulators is too expensive? :confused:

8. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I was thinking the same thing!

9. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

guess I'm not as cheap as my GF thinks........:laughing::drinkup:

10. RichG53

Any Ideas were or what to try ?????
    I too am getting tired of the Slap !!!!!

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If you want to try cheaper than $5 chop the bottoms from a few plastic soda bottles and attach with duct tape. :D

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

how about this.....Jack the truck up, letting the axle hang. Undo the spring pack clips. Drive wedge in between each leaf. Smear RTV on each leaf. Let cure, Good to go....

13. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Lol the duct tape alone is 5 bucks

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't forget the lost bottle deposit, either. And the environmental impact of not recycling those bottles. That might increase the Gorbal Warming impact, which drives the cost of everything up.payup

15. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Dont forget though, to do that, and have a decent coat, it will take atleast 2 tubes. Thats more than $5 too....

Rich, its $5 man, just get the right part.... Less than a pack of smokes...

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Oh Snap.......

17. RichG53

The thing is they may not stay in very long ...(Spring shop info)
    Are you going to buy every other month ????

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The factory ones didn't fit tight enough to stay in place hence they like to disappear. I've yet to have one disappear that came from the spring shop.

19. RichG53

Thank You !!!! I might try a spring shop ....Since you put it that way !!!!

20. massbowtie

massbowtie Member

go to your local hardware store and look where they have the furniture floor protectors for chair legs and tables. i found 2 and a 1/2" round rubber ones that had metal washers inside them. just use small nut and bolt w/ washers to secure it to the spring.they worked great on my old truck and never came out when i used these as replacements.it was a true value store and im sure they all carry about the same stock. or get an old piece of radaitor hose and murray clamp it on if you want to mickey mouse it.