1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stock Charging System???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by PPP, Dec 6, 2005.

1. PPP

PPP Member

This question is for anyone with a new Ford. I have a 2005 F-250 (Gas Engine with plow pkg which on ford seems to be just heavier springs), and I am getting a Fisher V-Plow installed on it next week. I am toying with having them install strobe lights in all 4 corners as well. How well does the factory battery/charging system hold up to all of these accessories? I have concerns with being at a low idle with lights, heater, and moving the plow. Can the factory system handle everything drawing on it at once? Any advice would be appreciated.:)
  2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Check your build tag for the truck it should state what amp alternator was installed. A 100 amp is at least is OK. Run the least amount of lights you can
    (example: no headlights in a lighted parking lot) No big 20 amp draw light bars.
    Watch your battery/amp gauge Battery should be at 12.5 --> 14.5, amp's on the + side. your headlights will start to dim after plowing a while and you hit the plow switches.
    Use the search function on the blue line above. Search: low power,lights dim,duel batteries,bigger alternator etc. for more info
    Expect to replace the OEM battery after the first year of plowing.
  3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i believe the truck will have a 130 amp alternator. you shouldnt have any problems with the alternator keeping up. if your truck doesnt have dual batteries, i would look into adding a second one. you dont have to but it would help.
  4. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Just a thought also....I have an 04 and just last week (during the "big snow") I had a fuse blow. It powered my parking lights and interior dashboard lights.

So, you may want to bring some extra 15 and 20 amp fuses with you, just in case. I think it blew due to the plow lights. I have Saber's and they draw power off the parking light system.

Just my .02. You'll enjoy pushing with that truck. Have fun!!
  5. PPP

PPP Member

Thank You for the responses. It appears that it is rated at 130amps stock under ideal conditions. I'll take the advice of keeping off all the accessories that I don't need running.

Thanks Again
  6. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Check out the link in the pic forum.. Shows a dual battery setup for the gas superduty..relocates the canister to under the intake./I am ordering one this week. I run truck, plow, sander, LED's, reverse lights on one battery..truck has shut off when it runs too low.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Keep in mind the alternator only puts out 1/3 of it's rated output below 2000RPM. / Keep an eye on the volt gage it should be 13.5 --> 14.5 \
    When it drops below that range your getting behind the 8 ball on battery reserve. If the truck starts to sputter when you run the pump let go of the switch/button. Computer's need a certain voltage to work,you drop below it and the engine quits. Nothing worse then the silent sound of winter in a truck that will not start.