1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stock 04 gmc 2500hd is pretty damn low - worse w/ plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cjasonbr, Dec 11, 2005.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I have another question for you guys.

when i got my gmc 3/4 i knew it was lower than the fords and dodge's but didn't really mind b/c it wasn't that big of a dif. recently i got a 8' boss super (w/ timbrens) and the damn things droops even lower now. Those other makes just tower over me.

I have all the options on my truck plow pckg, tow pckg. Seems like it should be higher.

what do you guys with gm's think about this? what did you do if anything, what works the best?
  2. JElmWin

JElmWin Senior Member

I'd upgrade to 1 ton springs, that'll remove the sag.:nod:
  3. ltmedic3

ltmedic3 Junior Member

On our 03 silverado 2500 hd we had to crank up our torsion bars, which help alot. Just don't forget to crank them back during the off season. It is an 18mm bolt. Don't for get your ballast in the rear
  4. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

Would you guys say that Timbrens are a waste for this vehicle? How many times do you crank your torsion bolts, ltmedic3?
  5. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Are you saying it drops lower after the timbrens were put on? Definatly crank up the torsion bars and like said above use plenty of ballast in the back.
  6. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

i had the timbrens installed with the plow.
  7. JTW

JTW Senior Member

The 2500 and the F250 have the same frame height but the body sits higher on the Ford. Crank up your torsion bars and if it is still too low for ya put in a 2" body lift.
  8. Chris-R

Chris-R Senior Member

I don't understand why you're having a problem. The truck definitely needs timbrens and if your dealer actually installed them, then the difference between plow-up and plow-down should be roughly 1/4 inch. Do a visual and make sure your dealer put them in. Without them, my truck sagged like the dickens with the plow up. Also, many people turn up their torsion bars so try that. Between the timbrens and 650 Lbs. of ballast, I don't have the need to turn up my torsion bars. I have the 05 GMC 2500HD with the Boss 8 ft. superduty so our setups are almost identical.
  9. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

hwo do i crank the torsion bars up? i think i may get some 3500 springs too, should they be the diesel springs or no do you guys think?
  10. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

yea i have like 600 lbs in the back. My truck def droops more than 1/4 '', they said they installed timbrens, i saw the box w/ my name on it, and they charged me for them - they damn well better be there.

1/4'' is nothing, how can your suspension only compress 1/4'' from 600+ lbs?
  11. vipereng2

vipereng2 Senior Member

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa we dont have spring on the gm trucks i got a 05 2500 chevy 400lbs in the back for balest and turned up the bars 6 times when they installed the plow they said they turn them 8 times but i told them i did it all ready 6 times is enough i think it easy to do my truck doesent sag much at all .
  12. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

What is nice about the front end of the GMs are the ajustability. Adjust the torsion bars up in the fall(handles the plow fine), adjust them back down in the spring(nice smooth ride all summer). I have not needed to put Timbrens on any GM since they started using torsion bars.
  13. Shadetree Ltd.

Shadetree Ltd. Junior Member

03 GMC 2500HD with an 8.5' Fisher V and it sagged so much that I could not have actually plowed with it. I cranked the torsion bars 7 rotations and it sat better but it still sagged a minimum of 2.5". A combination of Timbrens, the torsion bar adjustment and the 800 pound v-box in the back and the truck only moves 3/4" now.

14. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

i hate to sound like a idiot but ive been plowing for like 10 years but have never heard of timbrens.what are they and where can i find some pictures of them?
  15. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

They are essentially rubber springs that are mounted between the frame and the axle of the front or rear of trucks. The fronts are useful when plowing and the rears are useful for heavy loads and towing. Their site will help you understand the concept a little better. http://www.timbren.com/
  16. Crodog

Crodog Junior Member

Ballast in the back works even better than crankin' up the torsion bars. I make sure i'm running at least 70 PSI in the fron tires, crank the t-bars 5 turns, and have about 700 lbs of ballast right next to the tailgate. I was measuring one day and putting the ballast in the very rear made the biggest difference in plow height.

17. CrazyCooter

CrazyCooter Senior Member

I have about 900 lbs in the back of my truck, and with the plow on, you cannot see any difference between the front and the rear ride height. My truck doesn't "droop" when I put the plow on, neither. But you should hear my off road tires with the plow on and the weight in the back. I sound like I have tractor tires on the thing. My wife knows it's me when I turn onto my road, and the house is still a mile and a half away.
  18. QuadRacer041

QuadRacer041 Senior Member

thanks for the info. i may consider them for my chevy mason dump. i have an 8 1/2ft blade on that and it sags pretty bad in the front.
  19. ltmedic3

ltmedic3 Junior Member

I did not count, just went till it looked good, although I had a skid of salt(2500lbs) in the back when I did it. You can feel a difference when lowering and raising the plow. The truck does not seem to move up and down as much.
  20. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Are you sure about this. I thought a ford rode higher because the frame is higher to clear the solid front axle.