1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Still working on pricing this, need some help.

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by BHLC, Nov 7, 2012.

1. BHLC

BHLC Member

I am bidding on a job that has 10 locations over 45 miles. It will range from one stop with only 20lbs of salt to one with 2000 lbs of salt. I normally charge $200/ton in place. this one will take 3315lbs each time I spread. Being that it is not all at one location and is spread over an entire area how would you bi the salt portion. I can get a ton at $96. and figure $.048 a pound. I figure to charge $.10 a pound in place. $332.00 per event. Too low?

2. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Sounds way too low. How long do you estimate it to take for a complete round? Figure an hourly rate for your rig and add in materials. We have a salt route that takes about 2 hours to complete with about 2000lbs of material, probably 30-35 miles roundtrip, gross is just over $800.

3. BHLC

BHLC Member

3-3 1/2 hours to complete. That was my thought. I have already quoted them $200 a ton but they need more detail per location.

4. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I don't know your area but I have no problem getting $.20/lb here on large lots. We get more for the smaller lots and it depends in if we're doing walks also. Just size up each location, figure 15-20lbs per 1k sq ft, and multiply by your rate. I think you'll do better by breaking it into separate prices rather than a lump sum. This way the customer gets to see everything they're getting for their money rather than "This guy is throwing down 3000 lbs of salt and making $300."

5. BHLC

BHLC Member

good advice, thank you.

6. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

With all of the driving you still should have a minimum price per stop. We have a minimum for any location.
    Or you could have a .25 ton minimum something along those lines.