1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

still trying to find the rite plow?!?!?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TreeBusters, Nov 21, 2013.

1. TreeBusters

TreeBusters Junior Member

Well guys I posted before because I was torn between two plows, one that I had bought for 500 or buy one that had power angle. Well I sold that old one with some profit and now I'm looking at another plow. This one the I am looking at is a 7 foot Meyer that is being refurbished, it comes with an e47 pump that was rebuilt last year and and is said to be in working order. The big plus is it comes with the mount that will bolt right up to my truck the guy wants 1200 for it and I think that sounds great but I'm not sure if a 7 footer is big enough. We are not doing any HUGE property's or anything like that yet because we are just starting out, but that seems pretty small. Anyone have some thoughts they may want to share I would appreciate it. And I really appreciate all the help before from everyone thanks

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

what vehicle would this 7' plow be going onto? a jeep might be ok, but if it a 1/2 ton or something it will be too small.

3. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Yep, need to know the vehicle. It is essential that when the plow is angled FULLY, that it cuts a swath that is wider than the truck pushing it.

4. TreeBusters

Ok that is a good one to know. It will be going on a 1988 ford f250

5. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

You'll need be at least 8ft or more, assuming it's just a standard cab with a 8ft box. As you make a turn the rear tire on the inside of the turning raduis will be outside of what's been plowed. This packs the snow resulting in not getting a clean scrape.
    Back in the day Meyer offered 2 different models of plows and each model came in different widths. Being 7ft wide I'm pretty sure it's a ST, they had 2-3 trip springs, built more for homeowner use and the mold boards are 25" tall and goes to 7.5ft wide. Their C plow is a commercial grade plow, built heavier than the ST,4 trip springs, mold boards are 28-30” tall depending on the blade and go 7.5-9ft wide.
    The E-47 pumps were subject to freezing, the valve ports were very small and very sensitive to contamination, dirt or ice crystals. Older E-47’s were run with toggles, newer ones could have a touch pad controller. Meyer recognized the weaknesses of the E-47 and eventually introduced the E-60. Faster hydraulics, better valve’s and touch pad controllers.
    We talked a while back and I told you I my 8.5ft C-Poly w/wings, E-60 pump was being replaced, it’s coming off my truck on Monday and will be for sale.
    There’s a guy in Nederland (west of Boulder) that has a bunch of Meyer truck mounts, pumps, etc…… This is his C-list add http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/4206092062.html
    Besides wanting to sell my plow, you need to realize you need a plow that suits/fits your truck and the use it’s going to see.

6. TreeBusters

Ok I really appreciate your help. I am starting to relize I am going to spend big money for this set up. I may be interested in buying your plow I just have to get a couple more jobs knocked out. I am starting to get a grip with all this helpful info I really do appreciate it. I am going to look back and check out those photos again and maybe we can work out a deal thanks again

7. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

:eek: 7' will be useless, as well as that truck would destroy that plow, like buff said, you need atleast an 8' for a pick up. Ya even a decent used plow will cost you over $1000 if you can find one with compatable wiring & mount, I'd count on spending closer to 2 g's for a used plow & over $3000 on any new one.