1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Still tough to angle left

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by birddseedd, Nov 16, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Got my plow back on, new wires and all. still has trouble angling left. the whole pump housing has been replaced including valves. new controls. mostly new cable.

seems i still gotta move the cable a little to the right then left to get it to angle left.

cylinder issue? it doesnt leak that i have seen.

2. birddseedd

forgot to mention my calendars are not mounted symmetrically on the plow side of the a frame. ill be cutting them off and remounting them hopefully next week. maybe thats it.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you don't have the rams attached does the blade swing freely?

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

What cable do you have to move to make it work???? Is this an old cable operated plow or electrcally controlled? If it's a cable plow you may need to do the linkage adjustment where the control cables go into the valve body.

The rams being asimetrical shouldn't have much effect unless they are really far out. On some models the fluid just transfers from one angle ram to the other, they all do this when you hit an object. If the rams are at different angles then the fluid volumes coming out of one and into the other will be unequal. This can cause real problems if there is no place for the fluid to go....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  5. birddseedd

cable control. the angle doesnt have an adjustment. only the lift

6. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

7. mishnick

Funny you mention that there is no adjustment for angle??? The index in this mechanic's guide says that section 4-5 is "4 Way(angle) valve leaver travel and adjustment" http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/62880.pdf
    On my Western course we had to learn this adjustment, up, down, and angle is effected when it is not right. But I could be wrong, perhaps there are multiple versions of the cable plow. They are so old I admitt I have never serviced one other than on course.

8. birddseedd

dunno what it used to be. but if you buy a cable control now it comes with 1 adjustment cable one non adjustment cable.

9. mishnick

Not sure what you would "buy now". If you have an original style cable operated plow you might be able to replace the cables and joystick controller but the mechanism that the cables connect to is still part of the valve body. Perhaps you are talking about an adjustment in the cable / joystick assembly? The adjustment I am refering to is right inside the valve body on the hydro unit and is not replaced with the cables.

10. birddseedd

ok. i see.

yes i was talkign about the cables themselves. not adjustments on the valves themselves. but the weird thing is i replaced them all with this new pump.

11. birddseedd

I havnt had a chance to get the rams off to check. but i did replace both cables today. it does seem to work the same on both sides. but i think my 3 way valve is bad. plow stopped going down and had to adjust it to go down. adjusting it far enough so that it wasnt real stiff goign down made the plow seem to move a bit slower. wondering of the valve needs to be replaced