1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Still think i have a problem

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by nevrnf, Dec 6, 2010.

1. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I recently had the motor replaced under warranty. I think the plow is still slow to raise but it is a 9'. It also has issues with the plow not responding. If i run for a period with it angled then try to straighten and raise the plow does not respond. I have to hit the button a couple of times or even turn it off and back on. I got a replacement handheld last year but it did not make a difference. I had them look at it at the seervicing dealer last week and it would not do it for them. Any ideas?

2. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

My 9'2" V-XT is under-powered in the heavy stuff and kinda slow compared to what I'm used to also ... every one I've seen and used is the same though so it's just the way it is I guess.
    And your controller shuts itself off after some time of no use if that's what you mean (something like 20 mins, I can't remember) ... you then have to turn it off and back on manually. This is normal unless you mean it's doing this while actually plowing.

3. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I know about the auto shut down. This is after a 1 min or so it stops responding. It did this last year and it only does it after it has been angled for a while then you go to lift or angle the other way.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sound like a combination of an electrically under powered truck and a bumper connector not keeping good contact. The straight blades (regardless of size) FLY to the top.

5. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

I doubt it is underpowered. I have a 250a alt with a small pulley that keeps the charge voltage at 14.2 while idling in gear with the lights,wipers,heater on high and warning light on, when i am raising the plow voltage only drops at the max 1 volt. . I replaced both batteries with Johnson Controls 1000ca this fall as i had one that tested marginal and they were only 3 years old so it was a free swap to 2 fresh. I have been through this truck and every power and ground connection was cleaned and sprayed with Fluid Film. I even re did the plow after it ccam back from service.

I doubt it could be a connection at the bumper as it will only do this if you angle and run for a couple of minutes of time. If you keep it straight and run for a time it will angle or raise every time on the 1st try. It is almost like the controller is going to sleep but it only takes a couple of minutes of plowing. I am going to purchase a spare joystick tomorrow and run it this next event to see if it has any effect on this.

IF i still have this i will need to try a different service dealer. I know John @ Johns garage is a good guy just a hours drive 1 way is a pain.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Even though you feel you have enough electrical supply I would still recommend an amp draw test be done. And then do a pump pressure test. A 9 ft needs all of the recommended PSI setting to lift with good speed.

What does it do if you momentarily turn the controller off and back on? It's not a hydraulic issue but an electrical issue I can assure you that and it's either a poor connection or a faulty controller.

7. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

If i cycle it it works fine. I just swapped out the hand held for a joystick and will run it on the storm tonight and see if it makes any difference.

8. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Plow worked great over the Chrictmass weekend with teh joy stick so i dropped the plow and hand held off at a new local dealer and they ran a bunch of tests. They got it to act up a few times with my Hand held. They called and talked to Boss and were told there has been some problems with tehe hand helds and to replaced my controller. Came to pick the plow up and the multi pin plug would not go together. I looked at the plow side and what do i find but 1 pin pulled completely out of the base. Grabed the service guy and showed him. He apologized and said they would warranty the plow side harness and it would be done Thursday. Went to pick it up and it seems top raise much quicker than before. I will see what it does if we get any snow in the near future.