1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Still Pump Problems!!!

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BoulderBronco, Jan 8, 2007.

1. BoulderBronco

BoulderBronco Senior Member

just posted this in the Fisher open forum and then noticed it's over. So here it is
    Gary,
    First off thanks to you and Fisher for having this option. I have an older style setup with the belt driven hydraulics. For the last three years I have had this problem and it's getting worse. After 20-30 minutes or even less the plow becomes difficult to raise. I have to rev it to 1500RPM. I bought another pump that suposedly worked off ebay and got the same thing. Then I tried putting a 37% smaller (3" dia.) pulley on it. Worked a bit better but still no good. I have checked the valve adjustments many times and adjusted them each way with no luck. Also the plow will drop on it's own over the course of say, 5 or ten minutes. I have new ATF fluid in the system although it does not look new. I have not yet tested the output pressure of the pump because I don't have the equipment. So I come to you for help. I am about to buy a new pump because spending $60+ to have someone test mine is a waste of money IMO. So I ask you what you think I should do? Also if I do get a new pump how do I flush the whole system and what kind of fluid should I use? I live in the front range of Colorado so I need to get this fixed as there is a ton of snow with another storm on the way. Thanks for your time and help.
    Chris

2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

60 bucks to test it compared to buying a new one when you may not need one, is not a waste.

Question hows the angling? is it only the lift you have problems with?

3. BoulderBronco

Well I figure that if I buy a new one and it is STILL doing it then I have determined it's not a pump issue. Also I can sell that LIKE new pump on Ebay and not lose as much as the $60. Thats my thinking. The angling is the same as lift. It's real slow at idle.

4. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

And your not finding any oil wetness on the lines or anything?

5. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

read my other post, i told you how to fix it :drinkup:

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i am no expert but it sounds like you have a internal leak in the valve body possibly. thay shouldnt drop when parked in the up position. and def not that fast. we at the shop just had a seal blow out on our lift rack. and it made a internal leak in the system like you describe. also slow lifting was there also.

7. Al DeMaio

Al DeMaio Junior Member

I hope this will be some help to you. The first thing you really need to do is run a pump pressure test. The Fisher pump (A2311) was designed to put out 1500 psi at 1000 rpm's. It only takes about 700 psi to angle the plow, but that low amount will take a bit to raise the unit. The slower as you go faster does sound like you may have some water in your system (saying it doesn't look new when it is adds to the thought). These pumps did loose there pressure with age and was pretty much considered a throw away part. If you replace the pump change all the fluid, make sure you evacuate the oil from the angle and lift pistons, otherwise it's like changing your oil in your truck and leaving the old filter on.

When Fisher belt drive systems were their #1 sellers the valves that the used would hold a blade up overnight. With the decline in sales of the system so went the tough guidelines they could force their suppliers to hold. New valves will weep down, some worse than others, I highly doubt that the 2 issues are connected. You can purchase an o-ring kits for your valve the spool kit is part# A4272, the kit for the cushion valve is a #A5044. Get that pressure test run and go from there.

8. chaseatg

chaseatg Member

Pump Presure

Without you checking the pump preasure, we can not help you!
    It seems to me you bought a bad pump on E Bay!
    So go buy a presure and check your pump preasure.
    You can buy one at this webb site for less than 10 bucks. Copy this link.
    (Pressure Gauges, Air Pressure Gauge, Water Pressure Gauge – Technical Specialties)
    A new fisher A2311 Pump will put out 1500 PSI at 1000 rpm engine speed. Beware of aftermarket pumps as they are not the same quality as the Fisher Pump is.
    The only other thing you could do is just send the SNOW EAST as most of us have there plows ready and are waiting to use them.
    Good Luck

9. BoulderBronco

Thanks for the help as always. Unfortunatly my truck is in my garage with the axle completly dissasembled because I cracked a radias arm last storm. So I can't take it anywhere to have it tested. I tried all the local parts stores today for a simple high pressure test gauge and knowone had one. I tried Grainger but they were $80 for just the gauge. So I may have to go one more storm with this problem. I was thinking of draining the system and putting a heavier weight hydraulic fluid in. What do you think?

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

11. BoulderBronco

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No problem bud, let us know how you make out. :)