1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Still no brake lights!

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by AndreaS, Sep 29, 2001.

1. AndreaS

AndreaS Junior Member

Hi. I posted here a few weeks about the brake lights being out on my 1993 Chevy S-10 pickup. The concensus was that it was probably the brake switch, since the bulbs & fuses were fine. I installed a new brake switch, but the darn brake lights still don't work. I noticed that the buzzer doesn't sound if I leave my keys in the truck, or the headlights on. And the winshield wiper turns itself on every once in awhile. Hmmmm. Could this all be connected? I spoke to a repairman who thought it could possibly be the turn signal switch, even though my turn signals do work. And someone posted to check the master fuse - but I never found it. Found the master cylinder just fine, but couldn't locate any fuses nearby.

Can anyone help with this? It's so frustrating! I really hate to pay someone for what's probably a simple fix... If you think it could be the turn signal switch, where is it located, and what does it look like?

Thanks a million.
  2. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

The turn signal switch should be located at the top of the steering column, access to it is gained by removing the steering wheel and possibly some of the column - I don't know for sure since I've never delved into an S-truck column.

Since a l-o-t of functions are controlled by that stalk on the column (turn signals, hi/lo beam, wiper/wsher, and cruise control if equipped) I would think it's possible at least some of the symptoms you list are related.

Not sure about "Master Fuse", but on the truck's fuse panel there should be one labelled "Stop Lamp" or similar. That would be the brake light fuse.

Sorry I can't be more helpful with a solution! ( :( )

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

my first check would be to the ground coming out of the harness to both light at the tail of the truck, then after that then to the front areas ........