1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Still love my Unimount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Ozone, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Ozone

Ozone Member

So 10 years ago this month, I bought a brand new 7.5 Unimount for my F-250.

After 10 years, I've NEVER had 1 single problem with my plow, unless you want to count a cotter pin breaking one time. I've had the Hydraulic oil changed every 2 years, and I really took care of this unit.

So today I hooked up my plow, and when I raised it, it was slow and making a terrible noise. I'm not the type to mess with things I know nothing about, so I headed over to my dealer.

Mechanic came out, took off my pump cover, and told me to raise my plow. He yells to me "low pump oil". Here the plug on the top was really loose, and I didn't notice it because of my pump cover. He asked me if I messed with the pump, and I said "No..only you guys are allowed to touch this plow". Charged me $5.00 for the oil, and gave him another $20 for beers on me, since this could of been worse if I didn't come in right away.

I'm not an expert on plows like the majority here, but I am absolutely still in love with my Unimount plow. The Mechanic told me that my pump is damn near bullet proof..much better than what's going on Western plows today.

I do have a few questions though...

After this season, I'm thinking about taking my plow in to have my pump serviced. Besides the oil change, should I have them look at anything else? My lift chain is starting to worry me...should I have them change that as well? Should any other hydraulic items be looked at for possible replacement?

Being 10 years old now, I want to stay on top of any type of maintenance or replacements parts that you guys think should be done.

I honestly have to give credit to Western for the Unimount, as I'm a satisfied customer. :salute:
  2. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

You could hav them check the amp draw on the motor to see if that is getting a little tired. If you trust the dealership you usethey will probably lead you in the right direction. I am sure the mechanic will remember you the tip always is worth it.
  3. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

have the unit serviced this fall, just before the cold gets here. tell them you want a 49276 pump install kit installed. it has 2 new bolts to hold the pump down, a new oring for under the pump, a new filter and a new motor gasket. have them flush the power unit and cylinders and fill with western oil. it will last another 10 years. easily.:salute:
  4. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I would agree. The Uni-Mount plows are probably the best plows Western ever made.
  5. bucky6981

bucky6981 Member

Mine is going on fifteen years old and I broke a hose once.... Haha
  6. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

X2.............My only uni-mount is 12 years old and she is as good as new. Some say there hard to hook up? I do agree some are faster than 1 minute. When it comes to ALL around performance, the Western Uni-Mount is on top the list!Thumbs Up
  7. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

I had one for a long time, same as yours, 7'6 steel Western, great plow! Never a problem, lots of wash, hand wash, wax during the season, Changed fluid, cleaned filter before every season. Should have never sold it!

The unimount is kind of a pain in todays world but the 7.6 is so light you can toss\slide it around it hook it right up, very simple\great plow!

I seen a brand new\ never used unimont 7'6 or 8ft for sale the other day on craigslist, they were proud of it though...
  8. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

People think my 8' poly is brand new and its going on 11 years old.
    I change the oil twice a year. Coat all the chrome with WD40 or FF once in ahwile.
    Wash after every use.
    So far 1 pump, when it was 3 years old and finally replaced one angle cylinder last week.

Definately my baby.
    However I did just pick up an 8'6" MVP Uni that I think would look great on my truck, wife doesn't think so.........yet. Wish they made a poly Uni MVP
  9. Ozone

Ozone Member

I agree that the Unimount can be a pain in the butt to hook up at times.

Now I don't wax my plow (I probably should), but I do have signs of wear with paint chipping in certain spots on the entire unit.

Another question I have is...would it be beneficial to have this plow torn apart and have the blade sand blasted and powder coated, or is it possible to buy a brand new blade one day?
  10. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

You can buy a new moldboard if the rust is bad enough but there definitely not cheap. I would go the route of sandblast and paint I did mine last year and its still looking great.

I've had my unimount for about 1.5 seasons and Ive been very impressed by it being that its probably 15 years old only problem was actually after I was done washing it tonight it only wanted to angle to the right got out messed with the grill plug and it works fine again.
  11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I have torn apart many plows and re-shined them. I think that it is benifitical.

As for a new molboard:
    You would be better off buying a used plow and switching molboards. I think that the last time I checked, Western was getting $1200 for a 8' molboard. You can find a 7.6" plow for under a $1000 come spring time then you have a whole headgear of parts.
  12. Pushin 2 Please

Don't agree with be a pain to hook. Yes maybe they take a whole minute, tops, but is that really a pain?
  13. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I don't really have a problem hooking mine up eitherzn but when I drop mine I drop it on rollers, so it does make it a little easier to line it up with the truck side.
  14. DJ Contracting

DJ Contracting PlowSite.com Addict

I like mine so much that I'll be looking for a replacement truck this year the plow out lasted the truck, I've replaced and rebuilt the engine, rebuilt the transmission and just this year replaced the transmission with another rebuilt one, and haven't had a lick of trouble with the plow, this all over the coarse of thirteen years.
  15. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I use to say the same thing when I had uni-mounts. Then I got my first ultramount, and I was done with uni-mounts that day. Compared to hooking up an ultramount, yes, hooking up uni-mounts is a huge pain in the a$$.
  16. Pushin 2 Please

Totally agree that the ultra is easier. No pins alone is nice. Less mess! I just can't understand why people say that there a pain to hook, when they are really, really easy and pretty quick.
  17. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Not really. The jack on my 7' 6" was as useful as a cream slice. Had to drop on a block of wood most of the time, and then there was the hook up which included 8 pins, pliers, and a hammer.

I think I'll take the Boss RT3 system anyday. If the plow was bigger, I probably would have kept it.
  18. Pushin 2 Please

Pliers, and a hammer? Going on 13 years with my uni-mount, never needed those. I still use the factory stand it came with. It allows the A-frame to raise and lower when you move the light tower. Slide the pins in and your done.

I also have an RT3 and yes, hit the switch and your done. Does it get easier?:waving:
  19. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

20. kingriver

kingriver Senior Member
    from alaska

Uni - v- ultra mounting system

You guys said it all, I have two uni-mount v-plows, hey aren't as quick as the ultra mounts but they are good plows. couldn't be happier in the 10 + years on both we have replaced a few rubber centers, maybe a set of brushes in a motor, but all in all GREAT STUFF:cool::cool: