1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

still looking for backup truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snoluvr, Sep 11, 2004.

1. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I still have not gotten a backup truck for this year yet. Still interested in whay guys are running for trucks. I have an '03 250 with 5.4 but need another truck. I have looked at used trucks but the older they get shorter the loan term allowed so the payment is higher.New truck gets a warranty and almost 0% interest or very little.What do you all do when a need for more trucks comes up? Do you find you can make the payments all year on the equipment? I especially want to get the blizzard power plow on whatever i end up with.they seem like a real time saver.thanks for any ideas.

2. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i have seen some stuff on ebay im looking for a 1 ton or used commercial dump truck might just wanna do roads pkg lots

3. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

backup truck

What do you guys run? Regular cabs, Super cabs, crew??
    Is the extra room of superbac worth the extra length

4. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

id rather just have a reg cab 8 ft bed

5. MSC

MSC Member

I run two trucks every storm, One xtra cab long bed 2500 Dodge, and a Reg cab dump 3500 GMC.
    Yes, the Dodge does seem a little long sometimes.
    But you get used to it.
    The GMC is about the same length once you put the sander in the back though, due to the 9' dump body on it and the extra almost 2 feet of sander that hangs out.

Rich

6. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

backup truck

thanks for the info Rich.

Where abouts are you in RI? I am based in Warren. With the number of accounts I have I hate to end up with a problem and let all my customers down, and lose the money during a storm. I have enough to make it worth it, but not sure if I should do it.thanks

7. bcf

bcf Senior Member

Well I've got a extended cab and long bed, and I'd love a reg cab, but like MSC said, you get used to it. It's my only 4x4 truck, and I just paid it off. But with my luck lately, I'll be repairing it every storm. Ahh, the joys of snowplowing. :dizzy:

8. m&m owner

m&m owner Member
    from MN

I run reg. cab 8 ft. boxes. My main truck is a 2002 Dodge 2500 with a cummins. My second truck is a 1987 3/4 ton chevy. My back up truck is a 1979 1-ton dually, it is also my sanding truck. I like the pre 1988 chevys because they are tough and usually cheaper and easier to fix than most others.