1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

still looking for answer

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Detroitdan, Dec 31, 2005.

1. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Was going to buy a hitch mount spreader, but then I saw the heavy duty walk behind spreader and thought that looked cool. Now I'm thinking I need to be able to spread sand/salt mix. I know the hitch mount is for salt only, can the walk behinds throw mix? What about tailgate sanders? They are too much money, but if I can't find a way to spread mix I might just not buy anything. I don't want to get something that will tie the bed of the truck up all winter, and I don't want to have it loaded by a loader and get my fenders all wrecked.

2. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

I had a Sno-way tailgate unit and I would mix sand and salt from bags from the home depot and it worked ok. Not like a big V box but it would do the job. I think theres one for sale on this board.

3. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

Get a Western Pro Flo 2 best tailgate salter for wet or dry material

4. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

The Speedcaster is the same unit from Fisher correct?

5. Dieselman19

Dieselman19 Senior Member

It is Fishers Speedcaster 2 that is the same as the Western Pro Flo 2

6. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

That's what I meant.

7. kyle volz

kyle volz Member
    from Midwest

I have a SnowEx 1875 tailgate spreader and it works fine for salt/sand mix or just sand. Holds approx. 550lbs of salt to give you an idea of the size.

Good luck.

8. bnewell

bnewell Banned
    from Ohio

Meyer makes a nice walk behind

30_Hotshot190x143.jpg

9. somm

somm Senior Member

meyer (a plowsite sponsor, click top bar icon) also makes an awesome poly v we're considering.

if u got confined areas walk spreader's best, otherwise one-pass of 25+ foot swath with the tailgate / vbed spreader in larger areas.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  10. Detroitdan

I looked at the Meyers walk behind, but I thought it will only throw salt, not mix? I'm thinking about a Buyers tailgate spreader now

11. bnewell

bnewell Banned
    from Ohio

12. Detroitdan

the guy at the Meyers dealer said it is only for rocksalt, or bagged icemelt. I am pretty sure he meant they wouldn't throw mix. I dont know what "topdress" means, but when they say sand are you sure they mean mix? because the mix I get is reasonably fine and rock-free, but it is always so wet I dont know that I would describe it as free flowing. I wish I could be sure, because I do like the hotshot. I'm also looking at the Buyers stuff, seems a little cheaper than the big name guys. Buyers has a spreader based on a 55 gallon plastic drum for a hopper, but I haven't found much info on it. There one on Ebay right now, they're asking $636 for it. Only about $600 more than I can afford right now! But, it looks pretty interesting for the money, and it says it will throw whatever I need to.
    Maybe tomorrow I'll stop in at the Meyers dealer again, ask him for certain, maybe try to get a demonstration. This is a guy that sells and installs Meyers/Diamond spreaders and plows, and he says the only thing he uses in his lot is one Hotshot.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2006
  13. bnewell

bnewell Banned
    from Ohio