1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Still haven't been paid for last winters snow plowing!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ziob34, Sep 21, 2010.

1. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

:angry:

hey guys just looking for a little input on if i should even continue to pursue getting paid at this point or just take it in the tush and move on.

Still haven't been paid by a gas station owner for last years snow plowing services he owes roughly $650 bucks..... led me on for months and then basically skipped out on his business without telling anyone....overnight he sold it and was gone. I know his home address and another gas station he still owns and works at. My question to you is the guy appears to be a pro at burning people a buddy of mine got hosed for 2500 bucks from him. Should i even attempt to turn try and get the money or just turn it over to a collection agency that'll harass him and take him to court over it for 29% fee plus legal costs if needed which are usually like $100 bucks.

2. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Send it out to collection . Then go by his house and plow him in every time it snows.

3. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

send it to collection. if your buddy got screwed, why did you work for the guy? was it the same time period?

4. snowangel13

snowangel13 Junior Member
    from chicago

Collections!

Dont give it up! That is what he is hoping for. I tried for over a year to collect from a commercial client and didnt get anyplace. Finaly I gave it to a collection agency and recieved 65% of it in less then 2 weeks. I was amazed.

5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

collection agency definetly, something is better then nothing

6. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

I have a guy thats a forum member that still hasn't paid me from last year. I know how you feel.. My check has been in the mail 3 times now and i still never got it...

7. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Everyones saying collections agency..... take him to small claims and GET IT ALL.... it may take some time but you'll win in the end.....

8. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Screw collections agencies, file a small claims suit on him. Simply fill out the papers and have him served. You don't necessarily have to file the claim once he has been served, you can just use the system as a scare tactic. Depending on your State, you may need to pay your filing fees up front, as well as any serving fees, it all varies depending on which state your in & how they have their process setup. Yes, your forking out money to retrieve money, however, for what the collection agency is going to charge you....this is far cheaper and more effective. Not to mention.....can you see him telling a Judge "No, I won't pay"....didn't think so. Once he is served, you will get confirmation and some paperwork from whom ever served him, (Don't bother with serving it by mail if your state allows it, it's far more effective to have it served by the sheriff or whom ever does it in your state / county.). Then call or go see him, tell him your willing to drop the suit if he pays up. Explain to the idiot that it will cost him double what he already owes you if he goes in front of a Judge or Magistrate. If he declines, finish the filling process and go to court.

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

Me as well.....I wonder if it's the same guy.

10. RepoMan207

from Maine

Great minds think alike :nod:

11. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

My guy is local to dayton

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

Nope, not the same guy then.

I just came through your fair city this weekend. I flew down to Louisville, KY to move my sister in law back to Maine. 20 hour ride on 3 hours of sleep :dizzy:.

13. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

i'll look into small claims court but i figure the amount of time i'd have to put into going that i wouldn't be working i'd lose out so maybe collections and then just send me whatever i can get.

anyone recommend any good collections agencies in or near connecticut......

buddy of mine and i both got burned same time period he up and sold the business and was gone after looking me in the eye and saying i'll pay up next wednesday.

14. buckwheat_la

X2, agreed, if we were talking thousands instead of hundreds, i would support the small claims, but for the costs of filing, vs the percentage the collection agency would take, go collection agency, besides, if the collection agency has no luck, you can still go to small claims

15. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I Would vote for small claims. Sure you will have to put some time into it, but in the long run it's much better than a collection agency. Besides, collection agencies are a bunch of crooks, don't give them business.
    Robert

16. RepoMan207

from Maine

What time.....? Fill the paper work out & file it...maybe 15 minutes tops. Some states even let you do it right online. Then if you end up going to court you loose what....an hour if that. You've probably already spent more time thinking about it then what you'll spend on it in the small claims process.

If this guy looked you in the eyes and flat out lied to you....what do you think he is going to do with a collection agency. He probably has the top 100 collection firms already alphabetized in his filling cabinet, if not in his curricular file.

Sure, but then you have to pay the collection agency as well as the court. Then you've lost even that much more time. He can, and will show the collection agent where to find the dial tone. Not so much with a Judge.

It all boils down to accountability. The only accountability the collection agency knows is accounts receivables ...on their end.

17. Neige

Neige Sponsor

Small claims all the way, collection agency's are like loan sharks, avoid them, they will only cost you money.

18. buckwheat_la

Is there something, I am missing? The agency I use only gets paid if they collect

19. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

small claims but you better have proof he owes you 650.00

20. Ziob34

Ziob34 Senior Member

maybe send out a final bill and a letter demanding payment by such a date otherwise we'll turn it over to our collection agency or go to small claims court? maybe its best to try and get ahold of the guy on the phone or in person ?