1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Still have problems with pump unit

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by PRT, Dec 1, 2010.

1. PRT

PRT Junior Member

I have a Fisher plow with a 10" cable operated pump. I cannot get it to angle left and right. The plow goes up and down good and holds pressure. Every time I try to go left and right the electric pump whines loudly.

Could it be that the return is plugged and is not allowing the fluid to back track into the reservoir??? How could I trouble shoot this?

Does the valve for the up and down affect the side to side? How could I trouble shoot this?

The plow will move manually by hand when detached from the truck with the hydraulic lines connected to one another. So I believe this is okay.

Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Pete

2. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

What do you mean when you say "The plow will move manually by hand when detached from the truck with the hydraulic lines connected to one another"?? If the plow is on the ground.....?

Have you checked your 4 way valve, or have you tried to move it without the cable on? Let me know if you need a diagram or the manual itself to guide you along.

If I recall right, the up and down cable (3 way valve) can impact the 4 way valve (angeling), but only by speed factor.

Another thing that comes to mind is the angeling cylinders. Packing nut, overall failure in one, if not both........

Start with the 4 way valve though. Have a buddy move the control while you watch the function (remove cover plate), then disconnect it and try it manually while someone runs the control for you.

3. PRT

PRT Junior Member

When the plow is detached I can set the plow on the ground with the mount in the air and move the mount with the hydraulic cylinders back and forth. How do I check the packing nuts on the cylinders?

I've tried to move the four way valve manually as my buddy moved the joystick. I still can't get it to go.

If you have those manuals and diagram that would be great.

I appreciate the help.
    Pete

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

Here is the manual .

If you can move the free standing plow back and forth by hand, then it's not the rams. I would say that your problem is a stuck valve, or an obstructed connector or connectors on the pump side. Have you inspected the connector heads plow side?

5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like you have a faulty hydraulic quick coupler on the truck side. It allows it to angle when you move it manually because both of those couplers are working. My bet would be that if you swap out the 2 on the plow side to the 2 on the truck side that you won't be able to angle it any longer. Before you do that though push both of the little balls on the couplers in to make sure that they move and spurt/spill fluid out, you may get lucky and free it up and be all set.

6. PRT

PRT Junior Member

I replaced the hydraulic couplers and the hoses, the ball on the male connectors can be pushed in though? I check them again just to be sure. I'm also going to hook my hydraulics up to my buddies plow just to be sure. Please let me know if yu guys come up with anymore ideas.

Thanks,
    Pete

7. RepoMan207

from Maine

Yes, they're supposed to compress in and spring back when disengaged.

8. PRT

PRT Junior Member

Yes they compress and spring back.

Thanks,
    Pete

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'm not convinced that this isn't a simple air bubble issue.

10. PRT

PRT Junior Member

I there a way to bleed it?

11. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Just keep cycling it up and down till you get the air out then work on left to right. Just make sure that you keep enough fluid in it so that you don't suck in more air.

I still think it sounds like you have a faulty coupler somewhere. Replace all 4 of them so that you are sure that they are all matched to each other and that they will all work.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

This is exactly what it sounds like....I thought he already replaced all 4 however.

PRT, if you haven't, that would be my first step as well.