1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Still Have a Front End Clunk

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by cold_and_tired, Nov 17, 2010.

1. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I decided, a few weeks ago, to order the Energy Suspension sway bar end link bushings for my truck. I had a clunk that I could feel in the floorboard every time I hit a bump.

I spent about an hour today replacing the bushings and ended up breaking one of the bolts. I had to run to the hardware store to get a new one and figured I wouldn't hurt anything by leaving the front sway bar out.

I have a tiny bump at the end of my street and decided it would be a good test to go over it the same as I do everyday.

The front end of my truck feels and sounds the exact same with the sway bar out as it does with it in.

I got the bolt and put everything back together with no change whatsoever.

Ball joints were replaced this past June, shocks were replaced summer of '09, new X-code springs with new spring bushings in May of this year.

Is it possible for the spring hanger bushings to be worn out? When I put the new springs in, they felt very tight.

While I was under there, I put my hands on everything that I could and shook, twisted and manipulated as much as possible. I didn't feel anything loose but then again, I didn't have the truck in the air.

What else could be making a clunking sound when the suspension cycles that I would be feeling in my feet?
  2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Check your trackbar it my be loose or the bushings are wore out.
  3. Axel bearings maybe
  4. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

If this were an older truck it could be a rotted out body mount bushing. But if it is the '02 in your signature, it would be unlikely

You could check your u-joints for wear, pitman arm, and any idler arm if your truck has one. I think alignment shops use prybars on these to check for play.
  5. abbe

abbe Senior Member
    from RI

I have the same clunk in the floorboards, comes right up thru your legs. It's annoying as balls
  6. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

had the same problem it was a loose shock.... I couldent beleve how much one shock made it sound like the hole axle was coming loose.
  7. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

Loose shock bolt?
    Or 'loose' as in failed shock?
  8. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

me to bottom shock bolts worn just changed them today now its fine
  9. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

have it too. everythings tight as balls on my front end so i quit worrying about it. when it breaks ill be prepared to fix it
  10. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Got it fixed! I managed to get a good half turn on each of the shock bolts, front and rear. The truck is now as silent as the day I bought it.

Thanks guys!
  11. 350 STROKER

350 STROKER Member

i've been fighting the same thing. i'll check out the shock bolts too. thanks
  12. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

the bolts were worn out so the bolt had play inside the shock bushing.
  13. woody79

woody79 Junior Member

I had the same problem on my F250. Turns out it was the swaybar bushings.
  14. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

found a loose shock today..looks like bottom bushings are worn
  15. accu-cut lawn

accu-cut lawn Junior Member

A loose draglink will also cause this!