1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Still getting calls from bids sent out

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wiseguyslawn, Nov 14, 2008.

1. wiseguyslawn

wiseguyslawn Senior Member

Im still getting go aheads on bids. anyone else still picking up jobs this late. Im shocked

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's like that every yr.

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

picked up four apt complexes yesterday.got the call two days ago and got the jobs today for sure. I have 3 bids out still and maybe have to bid another 4 apt complexes. propert manager i just got a call from is checking with another one that she used to work for, they are all within a mile of each other in my city....payup
    I graduated from Toledo University. i see they finally are going to let go to toledo tom. Amstutz is a fat man

4. WorkinStiff

WorkinStiff Junior Member

just got my biggest contract renewed this morn...fax came in at 9 am... guess they were waiting til the first threat of snow/ice... think next year to avoid this to have deadline date for contract, if that would help? my problem now, put off topping off salt bin until they confirmed.. now gonna have to buy late grrrrrr

5. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Got a call late last week to do about 8000 sf of sidewalk from a mgmt co that we're already working with. Rather than say "no", I politely priced myself out of the game... or so I thought. Today's email says we are probably a go -billing out shovelers at $75 - 100per hour depending on depth! never say never.

6. Dodge Plow Pwr

Dodge Plow Pwr Senior Member

I am still waiting on answers from 3 places. I have plow 2 of them for over 8 years. No they say that they cannot keep having the same person doing it all the time anymore. WTF? I told them that by the 20th there may not be any salt for them to get as I have to give it to the people that I bought it for who signed up on time. Nov. 1st. If there is salt left to purchase they can have it. THis year is worse than any other so far.:cry:

7. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I posted some flyers a week ago hoping to add some additional accounts, I'm averaging 2 calls a day. Most outside of my desired service area, or some trying to compare rates.

I showed up at one tonight, there was another guy going over a bid on the deck with the home owner, and another appeared to be measuring! steep forward, gravel drive out a 3/4 mile private road....all set! prsport

8. mike d

mike d Junior Member
    from IL / WI

I go through it every year, i have one guy that waits until the last day that the contracts are due .He does it to me every year! we do five apt complexes for him, It drives me nuts when i have to order all the salt for the year . We also do a local high school and there the same way.

9. plowtime1

plowtime1 Senior Member

We have three still waiting for board approvals,no decision until week before Thanksgiving. lots of dialog and target price putting vendors against each other; talk about loyalty! Hope it snows beforehand, premium rates apply.

10. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

People like to drag their feet til they see snow, thats the way it goes!payuppayup

11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have all of my contracts signed this year but 1. Of course it's my biggest account, and I have told them the same thing about salt. If it's available you can have it, but the cost will be determined the day the contract is signed. I have plowed this customer since the building was new, ( 3 years now). He has never had a problem with me, nor I with him. He's always just a slow signer, but he is very efficient with the payments, so I tend to show a little more patientce with him

12. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I still have people asking for bids, and am still getting calls back on bids I submitted as well. It amazes me that people wait this late, especially commercial lots (I can understand resi stuff). Either way, I anticipate a lot more once we get our first snow.

13. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Im surprised how many people have called me for resi's this "early". I will have people call for their fall cleanup two weeks from now even though I told them they had until Nov 1 to get back to me about cleanups and plowing. I have people call and ask if I can get a fall cleanup in before it snow tomorrow...and if Ill plow the drive. People dont get it and the same people are in charge of com. accounts.