1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Still Get Excited When Snow Is Coming??????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Flawless440, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I think about this a lot......

As a teenager in 1998 owning my first plow truck i remember how excited i would be for snow and the money.. Early 2000's i started subbing for Winnscapes for $60 a hour, love it, stay up all night make money driving big trucks, playing in the snow....

Now with many subs, tons of walkways, big properties... Snow is coming, all i can think about is how am i going to get though this one.. Is there enough sidewalk salt, bulk salt runnin low, not enough sidewalk guys, issue's with this spreader, a sub truck down, low on cash till the next big check decides to come in, sub sidewalk guys need paid at the end of each shift (thats the only way I can get them to show) etc. etc. etc..
    Today the loader went down, dirt in fuel system, I have 40 ton of salt coming in morning. Going to try to blow the fuel line back into the tank to get it to run.. If not guess i'm renting till we can get it fixed..

Don't get me wrong the money is great when it comes, each year we gross more... The stress grows with it...
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

1998? That's ancient times grandpa.
  3. Stove

Stove Member

lol at grandview
  4. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

1998 was a good year lets. See if this years like that old guys rule not that were that old grand view
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Nope. Between what you discribed and me being generally burnt out of this industry I don't get excited.
  6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Guess getting my DL in'78 means I'm a fossil....... But I still get excited like a little kid when snow is coming.
  7. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I am nowhere NEAR as old as BUFF....lol. even with all the stress I still get excited.
  8. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I had to laugh as I go thru the same thing as you. I get excited when snow is forecasted for several days later. BUT as snow gets closer the more I double think things. Like I once heard in a song "Mo Money Mo Problems" LOL
  9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Easy Sport.......You'll be buying me lunch next time if you keep that up.
  10. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Yep, every time. When I get done I am looking for the next one. But in the middle of a big one when I can't see the end I am looking for it.
  11. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Yes I still get exited(ten years in) not as much in a good way though, I too have learned most of the stresses discribed by the op. That being said it is still partly in a way that I cant wait to get out there, but within a few hrs I want it to end.
  12. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I still love to see the snow falling, and going out and doing lots of plowing. It helps that it is my only work in the winter months!
  13. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Well Hell yeah rolling that rig...Thumbs Up
  14. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. Funny, I was just telling my wife today that I really have grown to dislike it. THE only thing I really like is checking the PO box and actually finding checks. Aside from that, I could live without the stress. And I'm a pretty laid back individual for the most part.

*I'm about 15 yrs in

SNOMACHINE Senior Member

Still get excited! But the bigger the buisness grows the more stress that comes along with it unfortunately! And it takes a little fun out of what it once was.
  16. Four Seasons

Four Seasons Senior Member

I know the answer to this! the key is in not overbooking. I find with mowing you can take on a great deal of work with less pressure (not that there isn't any pressure). But with Plowing, everything has to be done NOW. Plowing is a lot nicer when you have one decent sized , higher dollar job for some decent winter money and a handful of small residential places.

PLOWTRUCK Senior Member

Going on year 20 in the snow plowing business and still loving it.
  18. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

The money is great if it doesn't kill you, 24 hour plus plow sessions, people quit middle of big a*s storm, machines don't perform,yada,yada. I spent thirty plus years working for others now it is my show, always remember you can make it as big or small as your drive and determination. you can manage someone else's headaches or your own, i prefer my own. Good luck with that loader.
  19. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

You are so right, I keep so I can do all my snow work in about 8 hours for up to 3 inches of snow. We just had 5 and that takes it to about 12 hours. So many companies around here are so overbooked they can't see straight if it really goes to snowing. Seeing that I am around I see what they are doing, I see many driveways that take 36 to 48 hours after it is done snowing to get done. Talk about over booked.
  20. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Max, I can't believe what's going on around here these days. Horrible service and they keep taking more accounts...getting around to your accounts the next day is unacceptable.

Plowing is a stressful business IMO.