1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stiffer shocks?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 042500hd, Dec 20, 2004.

1. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I own a 2500hd and don't want to use timbrens because I've heard from some people that it's not worth the compromise in the ride. So my question is couldn't I just have stiffer front shocks installed? I understand this will also give a rougher ride but I think it's a better fix. I'm not looking to start a debate just want to know what you guys think about stiffer shocks. Thanks. Ray
  2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Keep your present shocks, unless they are shot. Shocks will not at load capacity. Turn up your torsion bars, next spring turn them back down....
  3. tmurphy724

tmurphy724 Junior Member

reply to 04 2500hd

undefinedundefinedundefined how big of a plow are u putting on the 04 2500hd? I have one myself and just turn the torsion bars up. I traded in my 01 for this 04 and I never had a problem with the 01's suspension.
  4. 042500hd

042500hd Senior Member

I've got a 7.5ft Boss on the truck now. It doesn't really sag that much to honest but I would like it to sit more level. I tried turning up the torsions I didn't notice anything. In fact I measured before and after and there was no difference with 5 turns. Should I raise the front end off the ground then crank the bars? When I tried it I didn't raise it at all.
  5. Swampdonkey

Swampdonkey Member

Lifting the front will take the pressure off the torsion bars making easier to adjust them, but you should get a front end alignment afterwords (so I am told by the Chevy dealer).
  6. benabarlow

benabarlow Member
    from vermont

new springs

I put 3500hd springs on my 2500hd truck. I also have a Blizzard 810 power plow that weights 1000lbs. it work great! Yeah it is a bit stiffer with the plow off, but its a work truck so i kind of expect it to ride that way. As for the idea, it helped a ton. good luck..
  7. Robo

Robo Senior Member

The torsion bars should be the same on those trucks if the 2500HD had the snowplow prep package. Just like a 1 ton dually has the same front end as the 2500HD :nod:
  8. benabarlow

benabarlow Member
    from vermont

you could be right. If you are right then the new springs made a great difference. Does it make a difference if its a dodge i did forget to mention.
  9. Robo

Robo Senior Member

My best guess is the dodges are the same as almost all IFS/torsion bar setups are the same or at least incredibly similar.

You have the hemi in yours?? If so how does it plow?? Mileage??
  10. ChloMag

ChloMag Member

Are you sure you "adjusted" the correct bolt?

I have a Blizzard 810 on an '04 2500HD with Timbrens. I am an advocate of the Timbrens. I don't use the truck much without the plow, when I do the "ride" feels OK to me. Timbren install time is about 15 minutes. If you don't like the ride without the plow, put the factory parts back in the spring.

One tip for the Timbren install is to remove the lower shock bolt prior to jacking the truck. This will give you some extra space to work. On the Chevy set up you have the Timbren, a steel plate, and then a 3/8" wedge. Mine was a little tight without removing the shock bolt.

11. prct2

prct2 Junior Member
    from midwest

I have a 03 2500hd with a 8.6 boss 500#s of ballast turn bars 5 turns raised front 1.5 inches goes down the road straight and sits nice.