1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stiffening up the front end????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by yamaharuss, Nov 16, 2009.

1. yamaharuss

yamaharuss Junior Member
    from ontario

Ok I got a 1998 gm 2500 8 bolt set up with a 7.5' artic plow and 285/75/16 tires.and the tires quite often rub when turning hitting bumps etc,and my tortion bars are cranked to max!!, Is there something to stiffen up the front more or blocks to keep the front from bottoming out,and yes I know the tires are oversize a little and thats is the problem,but i hate to buy another set of rubber just for plowin

Thanks..for any input..
  2. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

The almighty Sawzall. Apply to where it rubs.
  3. yamaharuss

yamaharuss Junior Member
    from ontario

LOL.done that,bottom corners of the bumpers are trimmed and,well the flares trimmed themselves..lol..

No other aftermarket fixes??
  4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Body lift..................
  5. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

stiffer torsion bars
  6. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

Spend a little time reading the other posts in this forum pertaining to torsion bars and Timbrens. You'll find more than you ever though possible. If you decide to change the torsion bars for something stiffer, don't go too overboard or it will ride like crap. Those biggest bars work best on HD trucks with the unbelievably heavy D-Max motor. Once you have Timbrens installed, you can decide if bars are also needed. You can also switch the torsion bar keys for a set from a 1500 truck. That gives you more cranking ability because they are indexed a few degrees higher. It's a much cheaper solution than a leveling kit and gives you exactly the same end result. I wouldn't recommend doing all 3 at once because you might end up finding that you've over-done it. Do Timbrens, bars, keys - in that order.

Do you have after-market wheels in addition to the bigger tires? Many after-market wheels use significantly less backspacing which exaggerates the rubbing problem because the tire swings forward and backward a lot as it turns. It's not as cool looking, but more backspacing to bring the tires closer to the truck might be a solution.
  7. mrfixx

mrfixx Junior Member

How wide are your rims? i had 16x10 on mine and they rubbed,i changed then to 16x8 and trimmed the bumper a tad,no more rubbing and my torsion bare are untouched..
  8. yamaharuss

yamaharuss Junior Member
    from ontario

Hmm,think they are 16x8,and bars are still cranked,oh well I've trimmed the bumpers I guess its livable...
  9. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

If they are the factory rims, they shouldnt rub with those tires. I run the same size on my truck and never rub. Not trimming either. Just cranked the t-bars till it was level without the plow on.