1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sticky snow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by dilligafdog, Nov 2, 2006.

1. dilligafdog

dilligafdog Member

I have a question. I just bought a new boss plow. I took it out tonight and the snow covered the headlight's on the plow, but the truck's headlight's where not covered. Anybody had this problem and what did you do to solve it. thanks Jason:confused:

2. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

Buy a snow deflector that mounts on the top of the blade. I have them on all 3 of my plows and they work great. Very seldom do I have to get any ice on the plow lights.

3. dilligafdog

dilligafdog Member

"Buy a snow deflector that mounts on the top of the blade. I have them on all 3 of my plows and they work great. Very seldom do I have to get any ice on the plow lights."

Sorry to say i have a snow deflector on my plow :confused:

4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Were the plow lights on?
    The snow usually will melt right off if they are.

I apply a little rain-X to them and get a deflector if you do not have one.

5. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

When at all possible I try to replace the bulbs in the lights from plastic to glass. The plastic doesn't retain the heat the way that the glass does and the snow doesn't melt and fall away as easily. Also when looking for replacement lights I try to saty away from ones that have the lens recessed inside of the housing because it makes it more difficult for the snow to fall away.

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i think that the bulbs are glass, automotive halogen type. but i could be wrong. the lenses are plastic and i dont think they make a glass replacement.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Were you plowing when they were covered? I have had this happen, the snow coming off the plow will not melt from the heat the light gives off. The only solution for this that I have found is wiping them off manually.

If it was just going up the road, then I'm with whoever asked if you had them on. Never seen that happen before.

8. dilligafdog

dilligafdog Member

Yes the lights were on, and i was traveling down the road. It was snowing quiet hard, but when i couldn't't see i would switch to the truck and could see fine. I'm going to try a light coat of wax and see if that helps.:confused:

9. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Its funny... but by your name I really didnt think you gave a....well... you know...dog

10. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Lets see how many understand that last one!!!

11. dilligafdog

dilligafdog Member

lol you got that one:jester: payup

12. S&S

S&S Junior Member

Does it look like I give a _ _ _ _.:waving:

13. S&S

S&S Junior Member

Is that close enough?:salute:

14. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Dang... you shoulda let them stew on it for a while first.....

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Any worthwhile input for the question? Maybe an answer that would help solve his problem?

I'd have to try the wax too, not sure what else to say. I can't ever remember it snowing that hard that they covered up while just driving. Must've been coming down pretty good.