1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sticky breaks???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by shane77624, Nov 17, 2003.

1. shane77624

shane77624 Junior Member
    from TX

First let me tell ya that I have a 1999 GMC Sierra 4X4. Just the other day I noticed that the breaks were grinding. I checked them out and found that the inner pad on the passenger side rear disc was worn down to the metal. The outer pad still had the groove cut into it. Both pads on the drivers side also had the groove in them.

Anyway, I changed the pads and now I can smell the breaks burning. I can trace the smell to the same pad that was worn out before. What is going on? What is the fix for the problem?

I'm sure that this is pulling down my fuel mileage and I can use every mile that I can get. I would appreciate any help that yall can offer. Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Shane

2. 86CrewcabK30

86CrewcabK30 Junior Member
    from iowa

Around here the rear wheel disc brake trucks pick up rocks on gravel roads that wear out the brakes. They will get between the pads and rotors and cause some pretty interesting brake wear. Did you have your rotors turned? Also might check to see if there was one pad per side that was thicker in the set. I don't know if they do that on the discs like they do on drum brakes with a leading and trailing shoe. Good luck!

3. shane77624

shane77624 Junior Member
    from TX

bump to the top.....still looking for suggestions