1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sticking left

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by RH31379, Jan 26, 2011.

1. RH31379

RH31379 Member

In the last week I burned out a motor which caused the solenoid ot overheat I assume because that went yesterday, started sticking and the motor would run in all directions after I released it, then finally quit. changed it and worked again, Now I noticed every so often it sticks when angleing left. After I let go of the joy stick i seems to run a lilttle longer. I've been searching and searching and no one seems to have this problem, Is there a controler test? or something else?

thanks for all the help
  2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

what kind of plow, electric/relays, or cable?
  3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Assuming that it is an electical controller unit and not cable linkage....
    At our shop we just plug in a new controller and try it out, if it gets better you buy the controller, if it does'nt change then you know it's not the controller. At which time we hope the owner just lets us work on it. There is no simple test box for controllers.

However, you could bypass the controller by hotwiring the solenoid. Remove the two small wires and then jump them straight to the battery momentarily, one to Pos and the other to Neg. If the relay sticks when you release the jump then the solenoid is sticking. That's about $30 US and an easy do it yourself repair. If it doesn't stick when you jump it then it is probably the controller. Try it several time just in case the problem is intermittant but don't be quick. When you jump the solenoid / relay the motor will spin but no valves are open so the pump will either load lock or might move depending on the unit. Don't stand where the plow could hit you when you do this!