1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stick

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by gene gls, Jan 22, 2011.

1. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Smoorman...........Whats the latest on a stick control??? Is SnowDog working on one or not? I hate the hand control, bad design.

2. Mike57

Mike57 Member

I like the controller.....just wish it was wireless. That would make mounting and un-mounting the plow much quicker.

3. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

I mounted my controller on the left side of my dash. I don't see how it's any different than the joystick that previous truck had.

4. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

This is what I've noticed, old school guys that ran a joystick with the left hand have the hardest time adapting. I hold the controller in my right hand when plowing the whole time, shift from d to r with it also. Had a oldschool guy try to plow and he would set it down then sshift etc. Explained it to him and after a storm he liked it.

5. gene gls

Your right, I'm an old school guy, 68 years. I plowed 18 years with a stick control, Fisher and Meyers, mounted somewhere convenient to the shift lever. You put your hand on it, it moved 4 ways, no guessing involved, never had to look it, always went where I wanted it to go. The hand held control for my SnowDogg is like a small base ball bat or a club. I can not picture trying to hold it and shift and steer. I have mine mounted in an opening beneath my radio next to my shift lever. Who ever designed this unit should have looked at thier design closer and put a little more thought into its opperation in the dark. Mine has a bright white light in the upper houseing that is blinding at night, ( yes, I have painted it black ) the touch pads are all vertical and the same length. My suggestion for SnowDogg is to put the light in the bottom of the control unit, used a clear or light colored plastic touch pad that the light will shine through, make the left and right angle pads horizontal. I would have half a chance of feeling whitch pad my finger is on. Also, make it an oppition to turn the plow switch off when driving instead of the plow turning off every time the engin is sthut off.

Glad I retired last year and got rid of my plow route . I only do 4 driveways now and it is still very irritating.

6. Mike57

Mike57 Member

I never have to look at the controller and I hold it in my right hand and shift with my right hand. Never had a problem with it. It feels coordinated lifting the plow to make banks etc. . Guess it is what you get used to? My "guy" shifts with his left hand while plowing while controlling the plow with his right...seems awkward to me, but it works for him.

7. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

I love the controller. I have had the Western, Fisher handhelds and a western Joystick, this is my favorite. The reason the side buttons are so long is so you can roll your fingers right over to them. I have mine mounted on the left too just left of the wheel. I like it there so my right hand is free to shift and steer. I have tried holding them before and just get tangled up!

8. brg

brg Member
    from Maine

[​IMG]

This is what my controller looks like. Yes the dog lights up too bright, but it does have an on/off button and the left/right, up/down buttons are laid out like they should be.

Sounds like yours is different?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  9. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

I will say that light is too bright.. I'm used to it now.

10. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

I agree.. it's too bright of a light. Would be nice to be able to dim it.

11. gene gls

There is no need for that bright light to be there. The unit has another statis light that lights up when the unit is turned on.

12. BMAN1

BMAN1 Member

The light is for getting a good tan.

13. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

I'll concede the Dogg head is a bit much - we actually dimmed it quite a bit from our prototypes. I've got a whole list of changes I'd like to make in our next version, and going to a proper backlit controller (with more balanced lighting) is high on it.

As far as the joystick thing goes - I think it's about 90/10 for the hand held. We may never make an OEM joystick controller, but I bet that aftermarket ones will become available as time passes. I realize that people who like joysticks REALLY like them, and I can understand why (float is much more intuitive with a joystick). However, the advantages to the digital handheld are pretty numerous - even if we never build in fancy bells and whistles like some of our competitors.

As you can imagine, a lot of the feedback that I use for new designs comes from Plowsite, so complain away, and I'll be taking notes.

Happy Plowing!

14. gene gls

Thats disappointing news. My dealer is the best for service but I guess he doesen't have the correct information all the time. Next truck will have a stick controll. Thanks for your reply.

15. X-Dogg

X-Dogg Junior Member

I agree with Gene. So I am developing my own joystick controller.
    Also being an "old guy" I prefer the left hand controller mount and a control that is easier to operate without guesswork. I would prefer the angle and wing (VX blade) buttons not share a membrane. Yes it's true that "old school guys" are reluctant to change. My wife will confirm that fact. LOL

16. golden arches

golden arches Senior Member

I waited a few weeks after getting my new plow to add some incorherent ramblings here.

Historically I've had joy, paddle, toggle, "T's" and everything inbetween . I liked the old Western "T" stick the best, but the joy sticks have been fun too.

I've lived and plowed in Northern Ohio, Erie, and Buffalo (or is that Snowalo?) and have worked them all.

It took a while to get used to and train my hand to run the SnowDogg controller, but it's second nature now and it works well. My dealer called it intuitive.. don't know about that, but it's efficent and effective. It's a bit oversized, but not unweldy.

Now, if SnowDogg dims that GlowLight I'll be fully satisfied.

17. X-Dogg

X-Dogg Junior Member

A piece of electrical tape cures the dog light