1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stick Shift Plowing??????

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by SnowKid16, Jul 18, 2008.

1. SnowKid16

SnowKid16 Junior Member

Hi, I was wondering if it is ok to plow with a stick shift. Also is this a pain to plow with a stick shift. I want to plow my 4x4 ford ranger XLT 3.0L 6cyl, would this be a decent truck to plow with, with a small plow.

Thanks
    Ryan :dizzy:

2. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

There's no reason why you can't plow with a standard, I have done it before. Not as convenient as an automatic but it's not a big deal.
    Go easy when plowing with that 6cyl, and you will be fine.

Jason

3. Brandon

Brandon Member

I plowed with the same truck as you have. Had a 6'6" Western Unimount on it. It was a real turd with the plow and ballast on. It did good for what I needed it for though.

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Shifting all the time (especially doing driveways) will wear you out very quick. The ranger will work OK for plowing as long as you don't try to do too much with it.

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

ur crazy... stick ****...and which hand holds my cell phone?

6. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

i wont plow with anything but a stick shift.

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Any reason why GP?

I've never plowed with a stick but if I get a cummins it will be a 5 or 6spd.

8. THEGOLDPRO

i have blown too many automatic trannys while plowing and towing. also im so used to towing and plowing with a stick its second nature to me i dont even notice im shifting anymore.

9. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I would rather plow with a stick shift. so when you pop the clutch in tap the gas and the plow with go faster.

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

We pretending our snowplow is like operating a fork lift? :cool::D

11. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

hahahaha no it was nice when I used the plow truck at the garage before and it is a 5spd and the plow was slow so I popped the clutch in gave it some gas and moved quick plus I like driving stick shift vehicles more.

12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

:waving:

i only have two hands.... and 2 feet

plow control
    spreader control
    steering wheel
    shifter?
    Cluch
    gas/brake
    cell phone
    coffee
    dount

my left knee runs the wheel, while the right one does the gas... my left hand holds my dounut, and runs the plow cotrol, cell phone is shoulderd.... right hand, holds coffee, shifts, and runs the spreader..... just how do i use the clutch?

13. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

some people dont have a spreader so lets eliminate some stuff you dont need lol.

plow control- left hand
    steering wheel-knee
    shifter?-right hand
    Clutch-left foot
    gas/brake-right foot

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Standards are fine but automatics are more productive and safer over a long shift plowing. When your feet are wet, there is a chance that your foot could slip off the clutch. JMO The new auto's unless abused will last 10 years or more in a HD truck. The Ranger will work well for you. Good Luck and take it easy.

15. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

i agree 100% ... unless you abuse the auto youll be fine.. i want to see someone plow with a stick for a big storm when your out for 10-20 hrs..,

the ranger will be awesome for driveways, justy make sure if its going to be a big snowfall to keep up with the storm,

16. THEGOLDPRO

i have plowed for 15+ hours slept for like 3 then went back out for another 15+ hour push with the stick shift. its no big deal. your leg will be tired the next day but thats to be expected.

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Easy Mang, we don't go to the gym all the time like you do. LOL

18. THEGOLDPRO

LOL this is true, i guess all those leg presses i have been doing pay off in the end.

19. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

as said above, its not as convenient, but i kind of like it better. whether this is an accurate statement or not, i dont feel like im putting as much abuse on the tranny when plowing with a stick. it just feels smoother to me when going into a snow bank and putting the clutch in and rolling back then into reverse. with an auto its straight up into the bank and throwing it in reverse. no matter what i plow with i always take it very easy when shifting.

20. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

Don't forget GP is always wearing his leg warmers too. :D

1legwarmersgfront.jpg