1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stick or Touchpad for a standard

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Barberry Hill, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Barberry Hill

Barberry Hill Junior Member

Finally broke down and moved beyond the 1970's
    Bought a new myers 7.5 with an h60 all of which looks mean and dandy. The question is how am I to get used to new controllers? I have read some of the forums on the various switches and their merits. The set-up came with a touchpad, but I am thinking maybe a stick somehow mounted to the shift lever top would be ideal. Presently have the touchpad mounted on the center armrest but the cable feeds to the rear of the truck and then snakes to the dash. Somebody even mentioned that they run the thing upside down. Reversible switches would be a novel idea here, or a reversible face plate.
    What do folks use and where is the best mount for a standard transmission truck.

Any ideas appreciated
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

i would try the touchpad and see how you like it. if you dont, you can always get a control stick.:D

SNOWPIMP Member

I love 2 toggles I hate touch pads plus they break more and cost more! Touch pads make my hand ache I had a standard truck that I clamped the switches to the shifter and worked it with my thumb for the up and down and middle finger for the left and right!
    A friend of mine had one and he made a tower and mounted it so it was right by the shifter when he was in first gear!
  4. I use the touch pads, at first i didnt like them but i have gotten use to them.
    The best controls were the push and pull levers with the plastic balls on the end that came on the old dodge sno-fiters and sno-commanders (damn i miss those factory installed pump driven setups) oh well time moves on.

Steve :dizzy:

POWERBAND Member

Thumb control

My new '04 Std cab/Short box Silverado has a new Meyers 7.5. The farm inplement dealer who installed it showed me a few burnt out touchpad controllers he had and recommended the single toggle (slickstick?) controller. He installed the plow with an adaptor plate he said comes with all slickstick controllers' that mounts right on the shifter and I only have to use my thumb to control it!. After years of using Fisher/Western cable controllers on my stick shift beater trucks this is so comfortable I feel like I'm part of the plow.
    I modified the adaptor with thumbscrews so during off seson I can move it to the Xfer case shifter to be completely out of the way.

You are what you drive :cool:

6. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

definately try your touch pad first, why spend the money on another switch and harness. (the harness is different) The back of the slik-stick is bulky also. the slik- stick does work very nice though.
    Good luck PT.
  7. Barberry Hill

Thanks for all of the wonderful replies and ideas.
    Especially thanks for the photo of the shift set-up.
    I LOVE THIS SITE! There are so many genuinely helpful comments and a wealth of information here.
    I guess I will work with the pad for a while for that is the presently installed controller.
    Would still like to hear where others who operate a standard transmission choose to mount the controller.
    Left hand or right hand operation?
    Any one tried to changing the controller operation so that the cable is out of the way ?

yours in trade,
  8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

slick stick they can mount it right near the gear shifter
  9. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

pump controllers

I have had the snow commander, got blisters on hands, slick stick it was good, mounted on the gear shift. The touch pad, digital logic unit has motor monitor in it. It can tell you that you are having a problem with wiring or motor before you have that problem. All have there good and bad points. Just read the instructions and the touch pad will last a long time. If installed improper you burn them down or they wont work.

10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

We get spoiled with the electric switch's and sticks. My first plow truck had a Western ( T-bar stick controller ) with the cable controlled pump. After 8 hours of plowing, operating the controller felt like you were the one lifting / angeling the plow and not the pump ( strong springs on it ). I had a floor shift Auto and the T- stick was mounted behind the shifter. Let go of one grab another. Push one forward, next one back, repeat one back other one forward.
    No wonder we dream about snow plowing.
  11. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

We use the western sticks. I mount them on the left side. If your arm was on the door arm rest thats were I would put the stick. I like it on that side because I raise the plow as I am shifting into rev or drive with my other arm. The truck is stopped so no need to have a hand on the wheel. Adding a cell phone makes it more challenging.
  12. Barberry Hill

Add in a cell phone cup of coffee and a cigarette and I am going to have to hire someone to drive!!
    Just kidding
    These are all excellent suggestions
    Past 3" storm I used the touch pad mounted half of the time on the right console armrest...Interfered with shifting
    The other half of the time on the dash to the left of the wheel...too long of a reach.
    I like the idea of a stick on the door arm rest