1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stick or automatic

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by paul soccodato, Nov 10, 2002.

stick or automatic?

1. stick

9 vote(s)
  2. automatic

39 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

what do you guys like better in a plow truck, and why?
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2002
  2. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

Do a search... It has been discussed
  3. Ben

Ben Member

I like a stick, I have never had problems with them unlike some autos
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Over and over and over.......
  5. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Automatic for most people..

Yea there was a post about this very topic a few weeks or maybe months ago. From what a recall, most, not all, but most people said automatic was the way to go, including me. :drinkup: Mike
  6. NoSnow

NoSnow Member

Automatic for me.
    Only clutch plow I've used was tractor.
  7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I think it depends on the truck. If the truck is under 20K gvw and 4x4 the auto is probably the way to go. However if the truck is over 20K gvw, a manual is probably the way to go.

8. JRFire

JRFire Junior Member
    from PA

I think it also has to do with the type of plowing you are doing.... If you are planning on doing streets where you wouldn't have to back up as much get a manual..... If you are going to be doing parking lots and need to do alot of backing up get a auto... it would just be easier (in my opinion) to have a auto in a parking lot with a lot of backing up to do
  9. long0

long0 Senior Member

Personally, I prefer a Stick. I do a lot of plowing on steep drives. I like the ability of controling how fast I go, without using brakes.

Now I am plowing with a Chevy 2500 - 8.1 taged to an Allison. So far, the Allison is great for driving down the road, but reverse is to slow for backing up. Still getting use to the auto for plowing, but it is still early in the season.

10. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Considering that 98% of my work is residential, the automatic is the only way to go. Its hard enough to keep track of all the gadgets I have to use when plowing, lets see; front plow joystick, rear plow toggle switch, rear back up lights switch.

11. Rob

Rob PlowSite.com Veteran

Strictly residential here. I have used both, and the automatic is by far superior on my knee !
  12. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

Stick here, 100 % commercial lots.