1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stick or automatic for plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kcplowmata, Nov 2, 2007.

1. kcplowmata

kcplowmata Senior Member
    from kc

Was wondering which is easier and more efficent. Most of my trucks are auto tranny but i have a line on a f450 for a good price but its a stick.

2. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Personal preference...

I prefer auto.

3. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

auto, better for backing out on busy roads

4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i OWN many trucks all auto except for mine ctd 6sp and have always got along great w/ it i have never plowed with another so i guess if you don't know better it's fine, infact i ran one of the new trucks for about 15min for my own drive (my ctd was already put away) and new truck new plow i didn't like it i guess just because i wasn't use to it. jmo

5. Wicked500R

Wicked500R Senior Member

Auto's are less fatiguing and much faster. The reverse gears in manuals are sloooww and there is alot of backing up plowing! JMO but with the newer six speeds, I assume 1st and 2nd gears are also sloooww so that means you got to bang through a couple gears pushing a load to get up to a decent speed...has to be rough on the clutch...I'm thinking...

6. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

add to that also.
    if you dont want the tires spinning in a manual you have to ride the clutch. ive had many manuals. i like them. but not when i need to crawl to keep traction and keep from spinning. guess that would depend on how precarious a position you are in when plowing. also some of the open/limited slip differentials wont lock unless you apply some brake pressure while hitting the gas. this his hard to do when you are riding the clutch too. just my take on it.

7. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Stick or Automatic?

WE all know as Engineering advances the Auto replaced the Stick mostly Due to the Manufactures desire to make More Money along w/ all the other $$ options I remember back when Driving any Vehicles was FUN Now every things Done for YA! I Dono? for Sure??--but--I*LL Bet that theres a Large number of Drivers Today that can NOT!! Drive a Stick that may? sound Funny?--but--Very TRUE never the Less! over many yrs I being Older than most on Here! I*ve Seen All the Auto Manufactures Build Vehicles from the Ole Standard that Really Worked! to all this New Computerized CRAP? that the Dealers themselves Can*t Fix! & I Chuckel at the Chit Chat of ALL the New Vehicles being More Economical? as NONE that I know Of? will Give YOU the Milage posted on their Window Stickers! We the Public are NOT all that Smart? as WE Buy most of the Hype cam manufactures Throw at US! Heres some Real FACTS--Yrs Ago when I Graduated from Air Force Flight School in TEXAS--I had a 51 Mercury 2 dr Sedan V-8 flathead w/ standard w/ over Drive--& Two Days before Graduation I Lost High Gear--but--my Over Drive Worked--& My Desire to Get HOME on my 14 Day Leave--I Took the Chance & Due to Time--Stated out for MAINE--now Here I AM--several 1000s of Miles Away from MAINE driving a 6,000 Lb Car w/ NO High Gear!--but--being Young what the Hell? I ty It any Way! so OFF I went--& back then--Highway Speed was 75 Miles per Hour--My thinking was Here I AM a Pilot so what can Happen? if It Craps Out--HELL I*LL just leave It & Bumb to the Next Town & FLy? or take a Buss? --well I drove It in Second Gear Over-drive ALL the Way HOME w/NO Problems & figuring my Fuel Milage--I got 28.6 Miles to Every Gallon as GAS was 24.9 back then & I did run into a Few places where GAS was as I re-Call? 21.9 a Gallon & I remember that Ole Merc had Dual Hot Rod exhaust--which sounded pretty Good Nice & Mellow Do any of YOU know of any 6,000 Lb New Computerized Pick Ups that Get 28.6 Miles to the Gallon? In High Gear let alone Second-- I DON*T! Progress? I seen on the TV News that Chrsyler is Laying OFF 12,000 Soon? & Now w/ their NEW 100 % Garrantee on New Models I have to Chuckel Again--as after a few Months? or a yr or Two? I wonder?? what? Chrysler will Change its Name To?? so they DON*T have to HONNOR their 100 % Garrantee any More! I kinda Favor Buicks & would BUY a New Century if I could get a Stick in ONE--NOPE!--SORRY!! NO can DO! I Dono? CRAZY? as I look Back--Seems to Me?--every thing thats really GREAT they Don*t Make any More! just as an Example--GO to DUNKIN or Tim Hortins & Order a Chocolet Sugar Covered Dougnut--the Most Popular Doughnut ever Made--& easyest to Make --just Roll It in Sugar--SORRY! We Don*t have Them--{{WHY??}} as They Have Glazed & Dipped in Chocolet-but NO Sugar Covered--SORRY Guys for the long POST as Our Society is Loosing our Rights every Day--I thought I*D tell YA! of some Little things Were also Missing!--YA! the Sugar Covered Chocolet Dougnut!--OH! I almost Forgot?? YA! the Stick is Harder to Drive but COST a lot Less to Re-Pair & the Sticks a lot more Efficient--but-Don*t Tell the Manufactues as they Will NOT make E*M any More!--Ole Tower--

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i like auto there to much stuff going on in my cab

9. Smitty58

Smitty58 Senior Member

I have a 05 F-350 6spd stick. After plowing or a bunch of hours in a row your left knee will wish you had bought an automatic. The other problem I have had is after constant shifting at times it was very hard to get into reverse. Not sure why, I had it checked out thinking maybe it was fluid or something wrong internally but the dealer mechanic found nothing wrong. So if I was buying a truck for plowing I would buy an automatic, of course if you found a great deal on a used one then I would have to consider that as well. After all you only plow (in most cases) 6-12 times a year as opposed to driving your truck for other things all year.

10. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

Auto in pick ups and 1 tons, stick for the big trucks:)

11. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare Senior Member

stick/auto

i had one older truck that used to be a stick but i changed it 2 years ago to a auto. the stick was great ifyou wanted some low torque to push abig pile, but i hated trying to get close up to a door, especially if there is a incline.

The truck its self is a 74' dodge 3/4 shortbox 4x4. the thing is a tank for plowing.
    Also, another thing about the clutch is that if you want to get out, you have to always engage the emergency.

The good part about a stick is that when you go to pile the snow up, you just give the truck more gas and then push the clutch in before you hit the pile. It wont do any damage to the tranny as it would a auto.

12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Auto IMO! I haven't plowed with my truck yet, but I can't imagine having to work a stick and clutch while controlling the plow and looking all around you to make sure you don't hit anything. Not to mention the fact that that you don't really want to ride the clutch while plowing- would be tempting, especially for resi's. I can drive manuals, but I can't even imagine trying to drive a stick truck on some of my resi drives!

13. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i should have said that most all of my stuff is commercial and street's and roads i have tractors with front and rear blades for resi's
    i understand if a stick would be almost unmanageable for resi's and small com's, we even have a 5500 4X4 4dr with a 13' alum bed w/blizzard so the 6sp is not the most unhandy truck for resi's i have, but i don't trust anyone to drive my 6sp but myself ,(fear of drive shaft's and u-joints)
    man i am almost as bad as ole' tower for grammar:rolleyes: LOL

OLE' TOWER i read for a little while but......to sum up in one word what do you prefer stick or auto? j/k

14. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

ive plowed with both and if you know what your doing with a stick you wont even be thinking about shifting. A second thing if you burn a clutch up its a couple of hundred to replace if you burn an auto tranny up its a couple of thousand to fix.I plowed with a 1 ton dump with a stick for 2 or 3 years and also drove it 6 days a week from April to december aand never had to have a clutch replaced.If you have to creep put the truck in 4 low but dont ride the clutch.

15. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

my truck is a 6spd and the 91 is the rest of our trucks are auto i like both......

16. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ive used both and prefer a stick.