1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stick Or Auto

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RICHIE K, Dec 24, 2004.

1. RICHIE K

RICHIE K Member
    from NJ

JUST WONDERING WHAT YOU GUYS PREFUR STICK OR AUTOMATIC WHEN PLOWING

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com purplebou

2. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 Member

DO a search, a lot of info on this topic. Most lead to an automatic being better. As long as you take your time, make sure you're stopped to shift, and it's in gear before you're giving it throttle auto's usually hold up alright. they are sure a lot easier for me.

3. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Stick shifts are typically stronger, cheaper to rebuild (and rarely need it) or replace the clutch.

Automatics, if you keep them cool enough to live a while, are much easier to use, go faster in reverse, and are much less fatiguing to drive on long nights.

This question has been mosted a number of times, these are the answers they always boil down to.

I have a stick and it works well for me.

4. jiriki87

jiriki87 Member

My vote is for the 6 speed manual tranny on my old 2000 F-350 with the Boss V. I only plowed in Low and Reverse. One was up , the other down, in line with one another. The Boss joystick was right in front of the center consule, just to the side of the stick. Quicker then an auto. I plowed 35 commercial and residential accounts for two years 25 times per season, no problems at all.

Peter

5. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

plowed with a stick for 20yrs a few yrs ago we got over 2 ft i plowed the same shopping center for 2 days my clutch leg was so tired when i went to get out of the truck i had no feeling in my left leg
    now i plow with an auto the trans wont last as long but thats why they make
    extended warranty
    john