1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sterring wheel radio buttons

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wirenut, Mar 31, 2008.

1. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

anyone have issues with the buttons on the steering wheel
    not working? i have an 04 thats quit
    just had the stepper motor fixed for speedo issue could
    it be associated?

thanks

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The steering wheel buttons do die from time to time (especially on the '03-'05's) but it isn't related to the gage stepper motors. It's just a coincidence that they quit after having the steppers repaired..

3. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

If you good with a soldering iron they can be replace with bulbs from radio shack.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I think he's referring to the buttons not functioning at all Yaz, not that they're not illuminated. :)

5. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Now that I read it again you could be right. I never heard of the all the controls going dead on the wheel, but the lights are common.

Since the cluster was out at the time of repair it would only take 3-4 minuets to physically pop off the dash bezel and remove the 4 screws that hold in the instrument cluster. There is only one big connector in the back of it. Just put on the e-break and put the key on acc and pull the shift lever down to pull out the cluster a bit. Then you can check and press in the connector tight. It clicks when it's in all the way.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, it's not as common as the lights being out but on the 03-05 it isn't unheard of for the buttons to quit.

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Slightly off-topic, but if anyones interested,I have a new programmable wheel for my 2006 3500 that I don't need.Never been installed.

8. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

update

went to dealer the other day they say that the remote start is possibly causing
    it. had to reprogram cluster could happen again they say.....:help:
    i guess i'll be visiting the installer...

thanks all

9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

So did they say on any of the paper work- body control module BCM because that resides inside the cluster? Hmmm this is new one on me, the remote could be messing up the serial buss somehow. I had a bad ground whack all my gages, they went dead a few times but never lost the BCM program?

10. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

it says code for theft showed
    vehicle has aftermarket remote tied into security
    all programming from cluster replacement erased,
    cleared code and reprogrammed cluster
    these were the milage,gas,trip and other buttons
    not the radio as i thought..

11. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh