1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

sterling acterra

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by treeman06, Sep 19, 2016.

1. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

Looking at a 2003 Sterling Acterra with the Mercedes diesel engine, wondering if anyone has any insight on these trucks, good or bad.

2. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

Well I would need more info, but you realize that Sterling is no more, out of business.

3. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

If there done and out of production, Won't be long for the resale drops,

4. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

I know that they went out of business, I was hoping for insight on how the trucks run, are they reliable like a International, The truck I'm looking at has 178,00 miles on it, was a box truck it's whole life, I'm want to convert to a dump. I can get it for $10,000.00.

5. FredG

FredG 2000 Club Member

The businesses I know that use them had good luck, I remember back about 15yrs ago guys were buying them over kenworth because of the price difference. It sounds like a fair price. Tandem or single?

6. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

What motor, I no its a Merced. But what one? They hold up well. [ I fix this stuff for a living]. After a while the dashes break, electrical shorts in the dash where the harness runs across. But nothing any other brand doesn't have.

7. treeman06

treeman06 Senior Member

906 Mercedes