1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

stereo capacitor (large) for plow pump?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by dave_dj1, Jan 16, 2011.

1. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I was just sittin' and thinkin' (usualy means trouble..lol) why couldn't we use a large 4-10 farad capacitor for our plow pumps like they use for large car amps?
    Looking for input from someone more knowledgeable than myself.
  2. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

Why would you need a capacitor on a plow pump?
  3. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Because they draw a lot of current! I have read several threads of people having problems with the plow drawing so much juice that their radio cuts out etc.
    It was just a thought.
  4. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

A battery is just a big capacitor, so you already have one (or 2)
  5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Won't work well, they are for momentary large current draws not an extended draw like a plow pump.
  6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

i think it would help with the initial draw. plus capacitors release their energy much faster then a battery.
  7. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I've actually tried this with a 5farad cap. It did make a difference. I dont know if I would do it again though