1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stereo and speaker replacment ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by dheavychevy38, Oct 15, 2010.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

So on my 2003 2500 hd ls the passenger side speakers in the door are blown and the head unit is on the way out also. My question is what do you guys run that have aftermarket stuff. Does it work with the steering wheel controls. Im not looking for blow your ears out stuff just good quality. Thanks in advance Denny.

2. rbi014

rbi014 Junior Member
    from 44131

have a 2004 2500HD ext cab. Bought Blaupunkt 2 way speakers for front (6") and rear doors (4x6) via Ebay for $35 total. Kenwood HD receiver for $169 from Crutchfield, which included mounting bracket and antenna adapter.

If you want to retain front left speaker chime function ( turn your headlights off, key in ignition, etc.) will also need Scosche GM2000 adapter from Walmart, about $50.

This combo sounds great to my ears. Listen to local HD radio 90% of the time - no commercials! Blaupunkt has more high frequency response than many other speakers. Was able to do install of radio and 4 speakers in less than 2 hours. radio was about 1/2 hour, rear door speakers about 10 minutes, balance was front door speakers. The dash panel pops right off and radio is held in by 7mm screws.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  3. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

This past spring I replaced my headunit with a nice Alipne unit, component speakers in the front doors, 4x6 spekaers in the rear and a 10" subwoofer under the back seat of an ECSB. A lot of it is still fresh in my mind.

There are myriad choices for you for headunits...get the one that has the features you give a damn about (ipod connector, HD radio, XM, CD...whatever). Front door speakers are 6.5" main driver and 1" tweeter (give or take a few fractions of an inch...technically the main drivers are 6.75", but 6.5" fit perfectly). You can use either a set of component speakers for the front (separate tweeter and woofer) or coaxial 6.5" speakers...coaxials are easier to install and are usually less expensive...Wally world or Target has a wide variety of decent speakers...Sony, Pioneer, etc are fine for what you want. Pop the door panel off, take the main drivers out of the doors and remove the speakers from their mounting trim rings (they will be ruined by doing this, you want to save the mounting ring and chuck the speakers). Connect all the wires back up to the new speakers and use the mounting ring to press the new speakers into place...no need to drill holes, the rings hold them VERY securely.

You can get wiring kits for the stereo that will interface with the factory wiring so you retain the sterring wheel controls and so it can just plug into the truck's harness...no need to cut wires in the truck.

You can do a headunit and front speakers for a couple hundred bucks and have a pretty good sounding stereo system...replacing the rear speakers is alot less important (and noticable) than doing the fronts...like your braking system, the fronts do 80% of the work and thats where your speakers are blown anyway, so spend your money and effort there.

Good luck.