1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steps = increased exposure to risk?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IMAGE, Nov 7, 2008.

1. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

A HOA I am bidding asked me to shovel the front steps and landing also. We normaly do service UP TO the front steps, but dont shovel them. In my contract it specifically excludes liability for slip and falls. However I think that shoveling the front steps greatly increases my exposure to risk.

So my question, is do you guys think I should agree to shovel the front steps and landing? With a slip and fall exclusion in my contract, is my risk exposure really any higher?
  2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

isnt this why you have insurance
  3. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Yes, but I guess it just makes me nervous. It is a good account. But I have stayed away from steps in the past. Its not a salted account, so there could be ice.

I think I am just gonna call them and tell them I can do them, and hope for the best. Doing some research it looks like ice slip and falls never win anyways in wintery states.
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i missed the salt part

I would do them But i would have to deice :drinkup:
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Never is a pretty big word.

I know that I was sued last year, fall happened in '06. I had all my paperwork, weather stats from WeatherUnderground.com, phone records, etc.

It's an account where I'll spread salt, but only after I receive a call.

I got the notice in August this year that my insurance company has denied all claims, and no further action has happened.

I personally think sometimes that we as contractors over analyize things. I do agree with expecting the worse, but even at this account that IMAGE talks about, who's to say that someone slips on the steps anyways, and they find that IMAGE was doing the work, whether or not they were responsible for the steps, they could say that the contractor should have at least notified the account rep that the steps were slippery, and still try to sue the contractor.

I'd take care of the steps, you're already there.