1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Stepping into the sanding/salting arena

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by StonewallFarms, Jul 12, 2009.

1. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

Hey guys hope you all had a profitable season this past year. I have decided to expand my services into the sanding and salting parking lots. Im currently starting out so im trying to make due with what i have. I currently have a 2500hd gmc short bed and wonder if anyone is running and spreaders on this truck and what is working for them. i have contemplated buying an addtional truck with a plow and sander but again the money adds up and i really dont want to end up with old, unreliable equipment. As for sanders i really wanted to stay away from the tailgate spreaders and was told to stay with a poly instead of a stainless for weight purposes. At this point im still in the exploring stages, but winter is only a few months away and i want to be ready. Thanks for all of your help.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Dollar for dollar it is hard to beat the Saltdogg poly/elec.

3. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I have a Salt Dogg, its been a very good unit no problems.

4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I'm on my 5th Snowex and i have only had to replace 1 motor. Could just be dumb luck.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I have had good luck with my PolyCaster. The advertised weigh difference isn't that much, either one will be fine for you. It is hard to beat the poly though, and electric motors are definitely the way to go.

6. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

Thanks guys, i'll be making my decision up within the next few weeks let you know what i end up with.

7. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

So i ended up biting the bullet and buying a used truck. I bought a 2001 Ford F-350 Powerstroke with a 9' MM plow. So now im open to all sanders and the 6' bed is no longer an issue. Im almost sold on the polycasters however i came across an add for an hydraulic sander. Can any one give me a quick education on this? Its my understanding that id have to have a seperate unit which would run the sander? Thanks guys. below is a pic of the new truck.. Still shocked I own a ford, haha!

[​IMG]

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'd suggest either a Truckcraft or Buyers electric under tailgate spreader.

9. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Congrats-thats a nice little truck you got there.

10. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

Get a hydraulic salter. I have one for my ford dumpbody. i know the pic sucks but you can kind of get the idea. It's hydraulic and you don't ever have to worry about it freezing up if you take care of it.

101_0313.jpg

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I agree a under-tailgate spreader is the way to go. The problem is stonewell farms is probably running electric over hydraulic for the dump bed. He would have to install PTO, pump, in cab controller and hoses vs. running a few wires. The cost would be much lower and you get effectively the same results.

12. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

you tend to rot out the box faster though don't you? And you have to constantly unload when you're finished so that the salt doesn't bind up in your box, right?

13. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You need a continuous duty pto, hydraulic pump, dual valve control, tank and hoses.

15. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

you'll probably pay something like 4 grand for the hydro spreader, then about another 4 grand to install the underhood clutch pump and all the plumbing

16. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Maybe someone could resize their pictures before posting them. :realmad:

17. JohnnyRoyale

18. StonewallFarms

StonewallFarms Member

Thanks guys for all your insight. Has anyone had and luck with the curtis sanders? I stopped by the curtis factory store in worcester today and was shown one of their sanders. Its gas to hydraulic.. let me know what you guys think?

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You are giving up a lot of load capacity to spreader weight. It's something to be installed and remove every storm if you want use of the truck. With an under tailgate you can start hauling material as soon as you're done spreading.

20. JohnnyRoyale

An under tailgate spreader is probably the way to go-as mentioned, but keep in mind. that f350 is probably only legal for a couple of tons.