1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Step bars

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by redhenny16, Feb 5, 2005.

1. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

I'm thinking of putting a set of stainless chrome plated step bars on my crew cab, short bed. But I'm a little concerned that they will collect a bunch of snow when I'm plowing. Has anyone experienced problems while plowing with step bars on their truck?

2. 4speed

4speed Member

Mine hardly collect any at all. I have more of a problem with my parking brake cables getting weighed down. Just make sure you keep a good coat of wax on them for protection

3. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

I have step bars on my 2500 short bed ext cab. I have only see a little build up every once and awhile. I have noticed it right behind the front tires. But it has not been a major build up. I would say go for it.

4. snow warrior

snow warrior Member

MY O2 HAS THEM NO PROBLEMS DO IT THEY LOOK REALLY GOOD :cool:

5. BigRedBarn

BigRedBarn Senior Member

I have color-matched shortie fiberglass running boards on my regular cab 2500HD. As I have bad knees and hips (arthritis), these were a must-have for me.

I haven't really seen any problems. They don't collect that dirty "snow schmutz" as you drive any more or less than mud guards. They sometimes have a little snow on them where I get over too close to snow piles, but I see no problems there.

They seem to actually be better than mud guards in that the mud guards can get twisted and even ripped off if you back into some snow piles (like I never do that... yeah, right... I always end up with hard-packed snow on my back bumper & receiver when I plow... I sometimes "plow by sound"... i.e., when I hear a "snow-crunch" I know that I'm back as far as I can get).

You do have to watch the steps as they can get slippery from snow accumulating off the bottom of your boots from getting into your truck over and over while you're plowing. It's a good idea to try to knock off the snow from your boots by banging them against the side of the steps before you step onto the steps and into your truck.

That's just my 2½¢.

6. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

i have those on my 02 ext cab short bed they do collect a lil snow but eacy to clean

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I have the GM SS chromed bars with GM mud gaurds in front of em. They dont load up with snow and Ice too bad. And when they do they are much easier to clean out than running boards.

8. DJL

DJL Senior Member

Ext. Cab SB have em to the rear wheel. They do collect a lil' snow but nothing significant. Whenever you stop for break/stretch just knock it off with your boots. And to the previous poster about slipping...I agree...wound up on my arse one night...they get very slippery. I now just step directly into the truck and avoid step bar.