1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mudflinger78, Feb 23, 2006.

1. mudflinger78

mudflinger78 Junior Member

hey everyone, I have a problem with my steering. When I turn Left it turns like it should; but when I turn right it only turns 1\2 the distance the left turns. I was told it could be the pitman arm; possibly bent. I didn't think 4x4 had pitman arms. help please
  2. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

What year is your truck--From your name is it a 78 and lifted ? if so have someone turn the wheel and you look at the frame where the steering box bolts to it. Just guessing, but could have torn the frame where the bolt holes are!--Hope not!
  3. mudflinger78

short steer

It's a 78 scottsdale 1/2 ton 4wd no lift. The steering box is still mounted to the frame solid. I changed the front shocks today and when I lifted the driver side I believe the swaybar was poping on the way up and when I was done and let it down it poped a couple of times again. The front end just needs to be replaced; rubber bushings that is,I hope. when I turn the steering wheel to the right it pops to. It sounds like the swaybar that is poping. I'm not 100% sure though. I hope this better discribes the problem.
  4. mudflinger78

Lookin to buy

Does anyone have or know of anyone that has a chevy 1/2 ton 4wd that's about a 1978 with no motor or trans that is in decent to good shape at a reasonable price. Possibly wanting to give away which will probably be a long shot. Don't have a lot of funds current at this time. I have a 78 chevy Scottsdale 4wd right now that was hit on the driver side and is Pretty rough too; but has a strong motor and trans. I bought this truck cheap and was going to restore it and realized I'm in over my head. I'm not worried about some rust. If anyone can help that would be great. If anyone can help pics would be awsome.
  5. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

easy fix/remedy

hi been there i had the same problem.On the driversideAdjust ,the tierod sleeve tierod.located. Between the pitman arm and the steering arm. loosen the clamp bolts on the sleeve with 5/8 and 11/16 socket lengthen by turning sleeve aproxiametly 8 to 12 complete turns.Also your snaping noise is most likely at the front spring eye bushing.(click n clack when turning left to right.Also check for binding on a newly inproperly mis-aligned steering damper.Also check for loose front u-bolts.these must be re-torqued after first 100 mile after installion.Torque u-bolts to 120 to 170 foot pounds.write back ....welded wrenches
  6. mudflinger78

I've been tying to get back to your last reply; it's just been crazy here. Well I did some investigating on my truck and I found out that I have a broken leaf spring on the driver side causing it to sag. See when I bought it the truck it was hit on the driver side. It sagged then too, I just didn't pay much attention to it because I was going to redo everything on it. Probably stiil going to. I thought mabe it was the ball-joints or bad shock; but those are good. Any how that won't cost a whole lot of $$ to replace the leaf springs. If I had a wore out steering stabilizer would that cause play in the steering. I would like to replace the leaf springs and some bushing before I tackled anything else. When I do replace the leaf springs will that fix the short steer to the right that I had mentioned in an earlier post. I have about 2-3 inches of steering play. I would like to know what the cause is. I haven't had a second person to help diognose these problems. It's hard to turn the wheel and look under the truck ands see what's going on. ha ha ha ha ha!!!! hope you can help.
  7. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

check your axel joints.
    steering gets real still
    when they start to rust up