1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steering

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by blackdog1, Nov 6, 2003.

1. blackdog1

blackdog1 Junior Member

Just pick up a 1980 K30 last week. Replaced the feul pump and put new tires on and it runs great. The problem comes in the first 20 minutes or so of driving. The truck tracks straight down the road, but then pull suddenly to the left. A gentle correction to the right and your right on track. This happens periodically, but after about 20 - 30 minutes of driving the problem goes away and the steering is fine. Any idea what is causing this? Thanks in advance.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

A little more info would be helpful.

Does it correspond with any braking action ? or just afterwards ?

Is the road surface a possible cause,or seem to affect it ? when you hit a bump ?

Just trying to understand your problem a little better,and determine if it's a steering or braking problem.

3. blackdog1

blackdog1 Junior Member

It just seems to happen out of the blue for no apparent reason. It is not just after braking. happens on any road surface. And the condition seems to go away after running the truck for 20 minutes or so. Very strange, the pull is slight but noticeable and is corrected with a gentle correction to the right. I can drive the truck to work and will experience this for the first 10- 20 min. Then it clears up. When I take the truck to lunch I again sometimes experience the pull left when I first take off. It seems to happen only when first starting off on different road conditions and does not seem to be related to braking. :dizzy: :confused:

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well it could be just about anything.I'd give the whole front end a good once over just to make sure.Ball joints,tie rods and linkage,steering shaft,play in the steering box should all be checked out.Make sure the box is centered,or it could cause a pull.

Take a look at the brakes too,for calipers sticking,flex lines,loose or rough wheel bearings.

5. blackdog1

blackdog1 Junior Member

thanks wyldman, I'll check the front end out. The steering is tight and I know the wheel bearings are good. all the brake lines could use replacing.

6. TomatoRedGMC

TomatoRedGMC Member

i have an 81 GMC k25, and it seems to do the same thing that your describing, blackdog, but it never goes away...mine may be a little more severe than yours, almost like it's trying to drive itself....no ryme or reason as to the way it pulls, and i suspect my steering box it going....its the original one, and looks pretty delapitated. I also had to replace a tie-rod end and drag link on it, which helped immensely, but it still does it.....haven't been able to drive it for a while, though :( just thought i'd offer some input.
    wyldman, would it be helpful to try and tighten the screw on the steering box a 1/4 turn? i did this on my truck, and all it did was make the wheel feel stiffer, but the play was still there....just a thought.......