1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steering wheelstroubles

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jbickler, Jun 29, 2003.

1. jbickler

jbickler Junior Member

I am trying to get to the bolts/screws that tighten up my steering tilt column. I can't get the tilt lever out or the wires for the turn/haz. lights out of the way so I can tighten the tilt screws.

Anyone that can help me with this problem I would be for ever grateful.

Thanks

2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Thats work for a repair shop. Certain cars are very easy to do and other cars you need special tools to get down there, thats what I was told anyway. What kind of car or truck are we talking about here? Im assuming a Chevy pick up truck? By the way, welcome to PlowSite. :waving: Mike

3. jbickler

jbickler Junior Member

There is a special tool for the tilt but since I am a diesel mechanic it would be viewed badly for me to take it into a repair shop. I am justlooking for info since it is my first time working on a chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 tilt wheel. Thanks for the input.

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Sorry I didn't see this thread first,I responded to your post in another thread already.I'll add a little more here.

The tool for the tilt pins is available,and real easy to use.Borrow or rent one.If you have common hand tools,you can fix the column yourself.You can also make up a little press,to help you get the stubborn little clip off (and back on) that holds the steering wheel lock ring in place.Bend up a u shaped piece of steel,and drill a hole in it to fit over the steering shaft end.Use the steering wheel nut to screw it down and compress the spring under the lockring,and pop out the clip.Use it again to get the clip back in during reassembly.

One more hint.When you pull the steering wheel,the little plastic retainer for the horn contact must be pushed in,then rotated left,and it pops out.If you don't do it right,they break,as they are very fragile.

If you have any problems,post back here,and I'll walk you through it.