1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steering wheel squeak inside cab

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CAT420, Apr 27, 2010.

1. CAT420

CAT420 Senior Member

I have this awful squeak thats coming from my sterring wheel when i make a turn left or right, sounds like metal rubbing against rubber almost. I took the boot off outside the firewall and lubed that all up because thats where i think its coming from and it stopped it for about 2 seconds but comes right back. greased my whole front end, any ideas? any help would be appreciated thanks
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I know GM had a recall or tsb about the intermediate shaft having issues. That could be the problem
  3. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

Hey CAT,

Is it a squeak, or, a real low sounding hum when you turn the wheel. My steering wheel makes kind of a low farting noise when I turn the wheel. I think it has something to do with the steering dampener that is built into the steering column. It applies resistance to your steering depending on your speed, the slower you are going, the easier the wheel turns and visa versa. My brother had one go bad and the wheel would turn real herky jerky.