1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steering Wheel Shake

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by ChevyHDkid45, Jan 19, 2011.

1. ChevyHDkid45

ChevyHDkid45 Member

I have a 2002 chevy 2500hd with the 6.0 extended cab short box. I am noticing a little shake or whoble in the steering wheel when i go above 50 mph. I checked my wheel bearings ball joints they seem to be fine. The only thing that has ben replaced on the truck so far has been both side wheel bearings. I am wondering what else i could go through to see if i can find the issue. I just got my tires rotated and re balanced and that didnt fix it. The tires are 285 75 16 bfg all terrain on 16x8 mb v drives. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

2. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

How much plowing since the front wheel bearings were done?
    How much tread on the front tires?
    Maybe an alignment adjustment on upper control arm.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Check the tie rod ends and idler arm.

4. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I would still say the tires.May have more then one acting up and they tend to get out of round the bigger they get.

5. ChevyHDkid45

ChevyHDkid45 Member

I thought it might have been the tires also. I run even bigger tires and rims in the summer. Hankook dynapros 325 60 18 on 18x9 wheels and I don't have a issue with them. These tires sat all summer long because I only use them in the winter. The bfgs only have 6000 miles on them. I'm going to get a leveling kit and blocks, as soon as that is done I'm going to get a alignment and have everything else looked at closer

6. ChevyHDkid45

ChevyHDkid45 Member

Any other help? Or should i just bring it somewhere and have them go over the whole front end?

7. herbert02

herbert02 Member

Tires are cupped I bet if you have no problems driving at lower speeds.

8. k5PlowGuy

k5PlowGuy Member

I'm going to go with the tires as well since it is high speed related, it's usually the tires. May want to get the ujoints checked out as another option.