1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steering Vibration

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PITCH, Aug 2, 2008.

1. PITCH

PITCH Member
    from hamburg

On My 07 Classic I Noticed When Driving 45-65 You Get Some Sort Of Vibration In The Steering Wheel. It Is Different Than The Clunk From The Steering Shaft That Seems To Be A Problem On These Trucks. The Wheel It Self Vibrates. It Has 19,500 Miles On It. Any Thoughts?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Can you give more detail? Does it act like an "up and down" type vibration, or is it more like a rotational vibration?

Would "buzz" describe it better than "vibration" possibly?

Feel like a bad tire maybe? There is a TSB for certain tire models on these trucks for a vibration if you want to have it check by the dealer.

Bulletin # is: 07-03-10-013B Was issued on 3/4/08

3. PITCH

PITCH Member
    from hamburg

It would be a up and down vibration when driving. the steering whell wil actually vibrate a bit in your hand. Now that you mentioned it i think I started to notice it after i had a tire rotation. Before the tire rotation the truck was very sensitive to the crown of the road. It would pull to the right or left. I thought i needed an alignment. After the rotation it really didn't pull anoy more. I have about 1500 miles on it since the rotation was done. They are not the original tire. 285 bfg tko's. I have noticed in the last two trucks the bfg's seen to effect alignment. I have noticed this with tire rotations. Does this help for more info?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure sounds like a tire or alignment issue Pitch. Not uncommon at all for a vibration to stem from a tire rotation but they will normally disappear on their own after some miles...and 1500 mi should have been more than enough for the tires to "reset".

How were (and are) the tires wearing before and after the rotation? I'd definitely have the alignment checked regardless.

5. PITCH

PITCH Member
    from hamburg

B&B

I Never Had An Issue With The Tires Wearing Funny

aNY ONE ELSE EVER HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THE BFG'S???

6. JK828

JK828 Junior Member

I had the same problem with my BFG KO tires. the first set would not balance within specs using roadforce balancing. Gm recommends road force under 25 lbs. and mine ranged between 34-91 lbs. They went through 7 tires to get me 4 that would balance within or very close to the 25 lbs.

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Can't say thats the first time I've heard of that with the KO's. Have been problems recently with some of the Firstone brands as well, and have seen first hand several that were well over 100 lbs on the road force machine. Owner couldn't figure out why it shook at 65 mph. :eek:

8. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

I had a steering, front end vibration in my truck, this is what I found

P7130004 (Medium).JPG

P7130003 (Medium).JPG

P7130002 (Medium).JPG

P7130001 (Medium).JPG

9. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

whooly crap i dont think i ever see a tire wear like that... broken cords?

10. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Sounds like a balance problem or a bad tire to me.

I bought new BFG from a well known tire place in town. When the tech spun them, one had a hop that was about a quarter of a inch. he remounted it and it still was there. He just swapped it out even though it would balance. That's one of my reasons to no buy mail order and go to a good tire place locally.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008