1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Steering upgrades and snowplow

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cbeard, Apr 1, 2007.

1. cbeard

cbeard Member

I was told by my mechanic the other day that my trac bar, ty rod, and steering bar needed to be replaced. I have a 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 with the CTD. These steering components are a common failure among Dodge owners. After some researce I found that the 3rd Generation trac bar would solve my steering woes. However, in a thread on the Turbo Diesel Register someone thought that you couldn't run a plow when you do this upgrade. I am running a Meyer classic mount on my truck. I also want to install a Dodge Steering stabilizer (DSS). I am wondering if anyone out there is running this combo of the DSS, 3rd Gen trac bar, and a snowplow ona 2nd Gen truck and are there any problems with doing so. Thanks in advance

Chris

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

lukes link

we found that as soon as we put new tires on the truck the steering got really sloppy becasue there was so much grip. our mechanic told us about lukes link and we installed lukes link on our 99 and the '01. fixes that dodge play in the wheel. we tow, plow, everything... straight. check it out lukeslink.com

3. cbeard

cbeard Member

Well, I did some checking today. Since the 3rd generation track bar wraps around the frame I don't think it will work with the Meyer Classic mount. My conclusion comes from viewing pictures of other TDR members and Jong explaination. I also call Rip at Source Automotive and even though he didn't have all the answers he did shed some light on the 3rd Gen trackbar retrofit. Another solution to my steering woes came from Don Thuren. He stated that the 3rd Gen was the way to go, however with the snowplow I could weld the retrofit bracket to the frame. Has anyone done this to their truck and what do you guys think of this? The bracket is bolt on and Don stated you are asking quite a bit form the bolts as you are subjecting them to the weight and road wear and tear. Thanks for all the help.

4. fencible39

fencible39 Junior Member
    from W. Mass

Track Bar?

I Recall seeing that the machine shop that developed the DSS Steering Stabilizer has produced a special bracket that allows you to use 3rd gen track bars on Dodges.

Check it out at www.solidsteel.ca