1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steering stabilizer

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by porabjr, Dec 29, 2014.

1. porabjr

porabjr Member

For the last year I kept wondering why i was sawing the wheel back and forth. Front end looked pretty tight. Until I realized like a week ago that the damm stabilizer was non-existent since I bought the truck. Looks like the prev owner hit something and bent bracket on axle side. I unbent bracket and put a new one on, but quite honestly it seems like it is just begging to be taken out again. Seems alot better over broken roads, and less darty. Cant wait to see if it makes a difference with the plow on.
  2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

my bet is something else is wrong with the front end.
    my 04 has not had a stabilizer on it for the 4 years i have owned it, and the steering is better than my crown vic.
  3. porabjr

porabjr Member

I wouldn't doubt it. To my knowledge it has never been rebuilt. Tires are wearing pretty evenly and for now I am taking wagers as to if the bed will rust away, both exhaust manifolds will blow out, or i will replace the entire set of ignition coils again.
  4. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Best thing to do is to remove them All beside my new truck I have removed them My 99s and 02s I owned new would steer better with out it
  5. Sprag-O

Sprag-O Senior Member

They are nothing but a band-aid. If you need one to solve front-end wobble there is something wrong (Older Superduties are prone to 'deathwobble'). Possible caster/toe issues, bad balljoints, tierod ends, panhard etc.

If your rig sees a bit of offroad they keep you from breaking your wrist; If you catch a tire they limit the speed your steering wheel will rip out of your hands. It's not the worst thing in the world to run them, but if they are 'required' to keep your rig sane, fix it :)

(my $0.02)