1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

steering slop

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by cameo89, Feb 2, 2008.

1. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I have 1995 chevy 1500hd and it has a lot of play in the steering wheel, I have been told in the past that there is some adj. in the p.s. gearbox, is this true? and how do you adj.
    if not I will replace

Thanks, Yon
  2. Redneck

Redneck Senior Member

Sounds to me like you have some issues with the steering gear itself, i.e inner or outter tie rod issues could be the idler arm or pitman arm I have had the same issues in the past and one thing I might suggest is using Spicer components anytime I change chasis part thats all I use, they might be a little more $$$ but well worth it, There is adjustment in the steering box it self but I doubt thats the problem
  3. Plowinpro03

Plowinpro03 Senior Member

I just went threw all of this issues. If you have lots of play, check your pit-man arms, espeacilly if they've never been replaced. (My god is that a nightmere to do, the entire steering box needs to be removed from the truck) After that, i would have your tie-rod ends checked.. Make sure you know a person willing to do an alignment on the truck. Most corprate places...(firestone/kost..etc) just set toe, and "claim" they adjusted your camber and barely move anything eles.. Do you plow with the truck as well?? Have your Torsion Bars been cranked up equally? There are so many points of adjustment on the frend of of independed suspention trucks, that i hope to do i never buy another truck that i intend to use for work that isn't a soild axle....
  4. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Check the Idler arm first then the pitman arm. If it is the pitman arm then remove the 3 bolts holding it and pull it forward over the sway bar. You can then just put the puller on it and use a air gun to remove. jack up the front end and wiggle the tires side to side. see if the idler or pitman are moving at all. If so replace.